Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2002 11:50:46 AM EDT
I was set on getting a Scattergun (Wilson) 870 for duty use, that is until i found out our Depeartment's garage won't install a shotgun rack in my car unless i have a Dept issue 870.  By the way, there's a 2 year wait on Dept issue 870's.  So in other words even if i bought my own i'd have to keep it in my trunk unless i forked out my own money for a rack.

So here's my question.  I pretty much decided to just wait it out but I am interested in buying a good shotgun for home defense.  I'm looking pretty heavily into either some type of Benelli or possibly a Fabarm.  I know comparing these 2 is probably like comparing apples with oranges but would like some feedback nevertheless.

1.  Whats the fair market value of a Benelli (you pick the model, i'm unfamiliar with them)?
2.  Which model Benelli is the most popular?
3.  Any feedback on the Fabarm pumps?
4.  Fair market value of a Fabarm?
5.  Should i just stick with an 870 due to it's simplicity/cost/ability to use it on duty?

My main interest in the 2 is mainly the "neato" factor and they're both shotguns you don't see everyday.  I doubt they'd see much use but they'd be an interesting addition to my gun collection.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd stake my life on a box stock Remginton 870, no 2 year wait for them....
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the Fabarm pumps very much, they have a very solid precision quality feel and excellent barrels.  The carbon fiber model has a very high cool factor but not much in the way of sights, the parkerized one has better sights but doesn't look as sexy.  I went with carbon fiber and found that it shoots 00 Buck perfectly to point of aim although it'll rock you pretty good due to it's light weight.  I need to try some reduced recoil ammo in it instead of the S&B Buckshot I've been using up until now.  Newer models have an extended length forearm that overlaps the sides of the receiver when pulled back, very good ergonomics and they have threaded inserts that can be used to mount an accessory rail for the HK tac light.  Either one goes for around $450 in the Houston area.

It's hard to find much in the way of accessories for either model other than the factory stuff (pistol grip stock, mag extension).  I'd like to put a sling on mine but haven't come up with a decent way to attach one at the mag tube end so far.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat even though they do cost more than a Remington or Winchester.  The Fulton Armory FN combat shotgun is worth a look too.

I have a Benelli Sport model shotgun that's used for clays, it's stone reliable and wouldn't trade it for anything.  I'd love to have a M1 Super 90 in the safe but can't justify the 2X cost factor compared to high quality pump guns.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Benelli M1 Tactical that has evolved into an Open Class IPSC Racegun. While "stock" I was very satisfied with its performance.  It came with an 18" barrel, straight grip and rifle sights.  With straight grip you can legally add a 7 round magazine tube which I did.  The only caution is that the gun does not like light target loads or tactical low recoil slugs.  Stick with a 1-1/8 oz. and 3 dram equiv.min shell and it will run perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I have yet to find anything that my M1 wont shoot. Even light loads run it fine.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Any family might be using shotgun, should you consider 20 ga?

I used friend of mine M1 because scope off.  Forearm cap was loose and I guessed scope setting from his headshot which was supposed to be chest shot of deer.

Took doe at 100 yards with regular Brenneke which was right on.

Damn thing kicks like a mule though compared to 1100.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#6]
there are some great prices on the Benelli Nova
pump tactical or other models and bbl sizes

$299 in black
$349 in camo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top