Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2002 9:09:04 AM EDT
I am considering a bolt .308 for informal target shooting at 3-600 yards and have narrowed it down to these two Remingtons.  Would I be giving up much accuracy or velocity with the 20" barrel as compared to the 26" barrel?  Any other comments would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Try the search mode for 'PSS and LTR'.
There's a lot to read as of late.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Shorter barrels are more accurate, due to less vibration during shooting. They are stiffer. They do however, lose velocity. Drop compensation for the longer barrel is easier and its heavier weight makes it easier to shoot, but for hunting the short barrel is probably better. If you just want to shoot at rocks, the PSS is probably easier to hit with.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the rem 700 vss, thats the stainless fluted barell and kevlar stock. it wasnt very tactical so a i had a buddy of mine teflon it and and put a nice camo pattern on it. it's a tack driver i love it. I've only had it out to 300 yds so far. but so far ive been impressed. as far a hunting with it i have but its abit heavy i prefer a carbine for around her not many long shots.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Hello,

either one of them will fit the bill out to 600 yds easy , i just mounted a Sightron scope on one of my Pss this past week end i will post a link so you can check out the rifles as well as the groups that they fired on the bench @100 yds shooting off of the bipods . i handload and shoot the same Sierra 175 match in all of my 308s. if you have any questions drop me a email
TargetShooter2
the pics are a Pss and a LTR
http://community.webshots.com/album/33442159wPrBdd
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you just want to shoot at rocks, the PSS is probably easier to hit with.

NOW I know why I got the PSS instead of the LTR!!!

If we ever meet up at a group shoot, I'll let you pick off a few rocks, Rainier!
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I got one of those rem 700, but kinda screwed up got it in 7mm rem mag.  Shot it twice and with the simmons 2.5x10 gold series scope it hits really good,one problem after shooting it twice i now have two black &blue marks on my arm where it went (KL-BOOM)  like it much but i need to tame it down just a bit!   A local gun smith said that he could put a (i think it is jts or jps) muzzel brake on it for 150.00 is this a right on price for such a thing!  I only paid 450.00 for the gun and scope,and that seams like an awful lot to pay for just threading a barrel unless the brake is expensive..Got to remember this is local (no mailing off .ect)  Any body got any comments as to wheather this is a fair price or not..  And am just too old to cowboy up..  Just bought a ruger No 1 stainless with laminated stock 45/70 that don't kick this hard!    bob cole
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top