Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2002 6:23:54 PM EDT
I saw the following rifle at a local gun shop and thought the price might be good, assuming the magazines are genuine Rugers:

Pre-ban Ruger Mini-14, blued, 95+% condition
- Choate folding stock
- Three 30-round magazines
- Aftermarket flash hide

I have no interest in buying this rifle but I am curious about how close I came with my price estimate.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm thinking maybe around $400 - $450.00

Would be better to know if the mags are factory (or not) before guessing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 6:42:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm thinking maybe around $400 - $450.00

Would be better to know if the mags are factory (or not) before guessing.

Yeah.  Like add $300 if they are factory magazines.  But if anyone is looking for a "preban" Mini 14 drop me a line.  Got two and no interest in shooting them anymore.

Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#3]
A pre-ban Ruger mini 14 will get $650 with a factory folding stock.  A standard rifle can be bought for $429 NIB around here.  The pre-bans I saw for $650 were at Knob Creek last fall.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#4]

I think the only Mini that could actually fit into the preban assualt rifle class would be the "GB"
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I think the only Mini that could actually fit into the preban assualt rifle class would be the "GB"

I agree.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.

You thought wrong.

A semiautomatic rifle with a pistol grip and folding stock meets
the definition of a “semiautomatic assault weapon”.

And any such weapon that was legally possessed on the date of
ban would be a legal grand-fathered preban under the exemption
of the law.

There was a lot of mini-14s sold and configured before the ban.

R/K
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#7]
What I meant to say is that I would not buy a "pre-ban" Mini-14 regardless of date of manufacture unless it came from the factory with the "evil" features. Since some did and some did not, that's too much of a grey area for me personally. There may come a time when you have to prove that it was assembled as an AW before the ban, and it will be your word against the government's as to whether the "evil" features were in place before 9/13/94. If the rifle came from the factory with a folding stock, there is no denying its grandfathered status. So therefore, if I ever purchased a pre-ban Mini-14 it would be the GB or a factory-folder type only.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Also note worthy.  Prior to 1989 Ruger sold Mini-14 factory
folding stock models that didn’t have “GB” features.  These would
also be classified as a “semiautomatic assault weapon”.

R/K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top