Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2002 5:47:52 PM EDT
I believe I almost have this figured out.  Headspacing is the issue.  When a new bolt is used on an existing barrel, and the finding is the headspacing is out of tolerance, you need a new bolt.  You cannot change the headspacing by adjusting the barrel extension or existing barrel length.  If that is true, why would anyone purchase a new bolt and take his chances that it will fit?  The reason I ask this question is because I have heard, "try bolts until you find one that fits."  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
bybon, you understand the situation correctly. If all the involved parts (barrel chamber, barrel extension and bolt) are manufactured and assembled to be within correct industry standard tolerances, the bolt should headspace correctly. That means everybody had to do their job correctly. The new bolt/barrel assembly should be checked with the correct headspace gauge, to be safe. A gunsmith can check headspace to determine proper fit before firing the rifle, usually, for a small fee. Like I said, it should fit, but why take the chance?

coyote3
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks coyote3.  That is all I wanted to know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top