Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2002 4:46:14 PM EDT
I’m pretty sure my next firearm is going to be a shotgun but I’m not too sure about what type of action to get, Pump or Semi.  I hear that the semi autos have less kick than the pump, but you can only have one pre-ban accessory on it.  I really want a pistol grip, so if I do then I can’t have more than 5 rounds in the tube, which would not be a bad thing.  However with the pump I can have 8 in the tube so is it worth the extra 4 rounds I would gain or lose going with the pump or the semi?  

Also what do you think of Mossberg, Benelli and Franchi
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#1]
That's up to you if the extra rounds of a pump are worth it. Me personally I won't buy a semi unless it is preban so I can have 8 or 9 shells in it legally.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Like all firearms the buyer really needs to play with a few different ones then make there choice.But once you shoulder a Benelli Auto you will never look back.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
What part of Kalifornia are you at? If your in SoCal checkout Turners Outdoorsman. This week they have Remington 870's on sell for $269.

Link Posted: 3/17/2002 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Well living in Kaliban territory pre-ban isn't an option

So do you think the pistol grip is over rated?

Edited to add location: Live about 90 miles north or LA, dose anyone have a price check on this benelli?
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the KISS action of a pump and an 870 is a good choice.

If you are going to be doing a lot of trap or dove hunting, you may find the lighter recoil of a semi.

For HD, I think the pump is a cheaper, better choice.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought my Mossberg 590A1 at Turners.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Try before you buy!  The pistol grip looks cool, but I don't like it much.  A buddy of mine has a pistol grip Benelli and ghost rings, I couldn't instantly line up my face with the ghost ring using that stock, it just wasn't comfortable.  I bought a straight line stock and it works great for me.  My buddy, OTOH, tried my gun and prefers the pistol grip.

I also can have a full mag (these are both postban guns) and he can't.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got several pumps that are different gauges and enjoy shooting them.For home defense either an Remington 870 or Mossberg 500\590 will get you through the night.Suggestions for what it's worth...get a good smith to shorten the stock to 13 inches and put a deacelerator recoil pad from Pachmyer,and put a flashlight with momentary and constant on feature(Surefire,Insight Technology etc)For the house you don't need ghost rings (unless you live in a BIG house.)The load I like is Federal 127 Number 1 buckshot(16 .30 caliber buckshot)
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I've shot most of the semi-auto's and I decided on one.The Beretta 1201FP with no pistol grip,stock shortened with deaccelerator recoil pad,Sidesaddle, and a good flashlight(Surefire,or M-3(lighter and cheaper)The pre-bans can still be found and the latest versions have 18 inch barrels and LPA ghost rings and and night sight insert in the front blade.They cost less than H&K guns and Benelli USA.They run just as good and are the quickest system to change ammo types in mid fight(select slug)
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool, thanks for the input
I'm not buying any time soon, still need to recover from my FAB-10 build

But after a few months of financial recovery I think I'll be ready to tackle my next project, my "Pore Mans SPAS-12".  Basically it will be a SPAS-12 slide action sleeve and hand guard mounted onto a Mossberg 590 with a pistol grip.  Going with a pump will keep the project affordable, thanks for the impute.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top