Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2002 12:38:55 PM EDT
I stopped in a little gun store today just to browse around. There on the rack sat a Bushmaster Assault Rifle. I do not mean an AR-15, I mean one of the early rifles that Bushmaster made. I assume that it was a pre-ban, as it had a flash suppressor and a working folding stock. The serial number was F010XX. It had a wooden forearm. Now for my questions:

1. Were all of these rifles pre-ban? If not, does the serial number indicate a pre-ban? I wouldn't want to buy a post-ban version that has been modified to illegal pre-ban configuration.

2. Is a synthetic forearm available for it? I am not a big fan of wood furniture.

3. The asking price is $575. What would be a fair price for one in good condition?

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested, but I have no idea what gun that is.  Keep us posted...
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been unable to locate a photo of one. My search on GunsAmerica only brought up AR-15's, M17's, and one ARM Rifle. I have seen these rifles before in photos, but never in person.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Look here under Bushmaster and see if you can find it:

www.securityarms.com/20010315/b.htm
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#4]
BushMaster made an early AW that was based on the same action as their pistol but was not a bullpup design. If I remember it had a wood foreend that was painted black and could be had with an aluminium stock that folded to the right.
Used AR mags and pistol grip.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#5]
At Securityarms.com there is a listing for a "Bushmaster assault rifle" but the picture doesn't work.  I'm still searching...
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Drfcolt, on the link you provided I found it listed as "Bushmaster Assault Rifle", but there was no photo available.

Wlynn5, yes, it has a wooden forearm, a side-folding aluminum stock, and accepts AR-15 mags.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Condition is everything, but I have never seen one under $800.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Ahhh, the origional Bushmaster assault rifle. IIRC it was a hybryd AR-15/AK ala the Daewoo K-1. It takes AR magazines and pistol grips. Any rifle with a functioning folder and flash hider for $575 is a bargin, elspecially if it's frin such a reliable manufactorer and you can still get parts for it (which you can from bushmaster)
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#9]
caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

Go to page 11 for pic and page 40 for pistol...
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

Go to page 11 for pic and page 40 for pistol...

Page 21...
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#11]
It looks like the one in the photo, only it has a side-folding stock instead of the fixed wooden one. Condition is pretty good. It has a few scratches on the receiver, but if worse came to worse it could be refinished. I just don't know if I can learn to love that wooden forearm. I may have to buy it Monday...
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#12]
PS---I'm using the actual booklet marked page...
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#13]
If you look at the gas tube and gas block and they look like their welded up that would be a positive ID.
These rifles had a rep. for being crude. This was before AKs where well known of course.
Almost any semi-auto with a folding stock is worth 575.00 in good condition nowadays.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#14]
There was a discussion of this rifle on this board within the past couple of weeks, do a search and you'll probably find it.

Not the best rifle in the world, but the price on your example is a good deal for one in good condition.  Will your shop take it back if it doesn't work?
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
There was a discussion of this rifle on this board within the past couple of weeks, do a search and you'll probably find it.

Is this it?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=94383
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Dat's it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a friend who has one and it is a total piece of crap. I wouldn't trade a Daisy Red Rider for it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#18]
i have heard about quality control problems in the early bushmasters, one of the reasons they didnt take off, they just wernt as good as the AR. but, i think if it works, thats a helluva deal.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow that's ugly!  Buy a REAL rifle with your money like a Rem 700, not a POS like that thing, whether it has evil features or not, its still just plain UGLY!
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I'll agree that it is one ugly b******, but it is something that you don't see everyday. It appears to be a very crude design. The one I saw looks a little better with the sidefolder and all, but "you can't polish a turd". If I ever bought it, it would be as an investment.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yeah, I'll agree that it is one ugly b******, but it is something that you don't see everyday. It appears to be a very crude design. The one I saw looks a little better with the sidefolder and all, but "you can't polish a turd". If I ever bought it, it would be as an investment.

Makes sense, although there are better investments for the buck IMO.  How about a Maadi Ak?  Maybe half an M1A?  How about listing it on some boards, and selling it as a quick turnaround kind of thing?  Just please...don't keep that ugly thing....DO IT FOR THE CHILDREN!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top