Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2002 11:42:54 AM EDT
I have a couple of parts from my SAA that I would like to harden to retard the wear and keep the timing solid.
I had read about some can of stuff you can dip red hot parts into and it will surface harden them.
Anyone have any info on this or any other methods?
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Heat cherry red, then dip into a bucket of oil.

The end.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Kasenit is the product you're talking about.  Heat the part, dip it in Kasenit, and there you have it.  Never used the stuff so I can't really help much, but you can get it at Brownells for about 10 bucks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I have Kasenit that works to add carbon to the parts.  It will turn mild steel in to hard steel, but is a real bitch to clean up. Plus, if you go overboard, the parts become brittle and shatter.

If you are just hardening contact points, then go with Monel's way.  Just remember to use a clean heat source or you will film the surface and it will not take a good quenching.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Do an advanced deja news search for surface hardening with the author name of “Ed Huntress”.

The group is rec.craft.metalworking.

Huntress is the “real deal” and has many posts on this subject.

You’ll even find info on Kasenit.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
oil is good but it can be done with plane old tap water.
I've done it several times,with chisels and center punches.

But id be rather hesitant to do it on gun parts especially if you have never done anything like this before.

It doesn't take much to deform a small part. Plus as we all know real SAA parts aren't cheap to replace.

Any competent gunsmith can do this easily and cheaply.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top