Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2002 5:21:20 PM EDT

This is my brother's rifle, as you can see, something is wrong with it.  We think we've figgure out what needs to be replaced, but why on earth would this happen?  It was frustrating for him to take the thing up and get 5 shots of semi-auto, only be reduced to a (surprisingly accurate) single-shot rifle.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of rifle.  Who built/manufactured it?
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Need more info.  The rifle looks like a Stg 58 Styer type, with the short, cut off gas piston tube.  Looks like the piston broke, or the piston spring broke or got "kinked"
If the rile is a Century, It may be a broken piston.  They, reportedly are fragile.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It's an Imbel receiver, and that's all I know about it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Capro,

If the rifle was $600 or less, it was a Century.  If it was over $800, it might be a better rifle under warrantee by a good company.

Order a replacement spring and piston from DSarms.  www.dsarms.com.  

AFARR

Link Posted: 3/15/2002 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#5]
This is a full sized picture of the rifle:

Link Posted: 3/15/2002 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the gas piston a one or two piece design?  Two piece gas pistons were typically made and installed by Century. They were notorious for breaking. There are a few sources of US made single piece gas pistons that will not break. FSE, Tapco, Entreprise, and DSA can supply you with a replacement gas piston.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like a broke gas piston. Not a hard repair. Two piece gas pistons are notorious for this as has been said.

I had a hesse 2 piece gas piston BEND after about 10 shots. Once you get the kinks out, they are fine guns.

Take the Gas Plug out. It holds the gas piston and spring in place.

Remove Busted up gas piston and spring.

Go to www.dsarms.com and get a solid gas piston.

Should work like brand new after you replace it.

_FS
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like a broke gas piston. Not a hard repair. Two piece gas pistons are notorious for this as has been said.

I had a hesse 2 piece gas piston BEND after about 10 shots. Once you get the kinks out, they are fine guns.

Take the Gas Plug out. It holds the gas piston and spring in place.

Remove Busted up gas piston (#19 on schematic) and spring.

Go to www.dsarms.com and get a solid gas piston. (US made metric gas piston)

Should work like brand new after you replace it. Also check www.fal-files.com for the ar-15.com of FAL's.

_FS

Part #'s for ordering: www.dsarms.com/FALschematic.htm

Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:53:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Tapco has new USA gas tubes for $20 (#FAL24156) about the same price as new pistons.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 6:25:31 AM EDT
[#10]
See what happens when you don't buy a DSA!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 6:33:34 AM EDT
[#11]
There has been a lot of discussion about the 2 pc. Century gas pistons at the Falfiles .

I read somewhere there that the Tapco pistons can be somewhat egg shaped, causing some problems.

But the DSA pistons were discribed as "a piece of art." Though more expensive that is what I'll be putting into mine when the time comes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like Steyr parts like DSA uses.

Original surplus parts are easy to get but may get you into trouble with the required US content.  The piston is one of the easy parts produced in the States to support rebuilding the kits into rifles.

Any of the better rebuild outfits like DSA can get you a good piston and other remake parts.  They don't match Steyr quality but are pretty good.  Better than you've got.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top