Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2002 12:46:00 PM EDT
Okay, I was sitting and lamenting my inability to buy a FAL in this communist state (coupled with lack of desire to spend $1800 on DSA's CA-legal fixed mag model), and I wondered why nobody has made a FAL stock in "hunting rifle" configuration.  

I realize that the trigger group would have to be moved back, but you could have the stock go as far forward as the trigger group is normally, and then run some additional parts from the new trigger location through the stock and up into the receiver (negating the need for receiver modification).

Basically, it would be a stock and trigger group set together... granted, it wouldn't look as cool, but I'd prefer substance over style in this case.

How feasible would this be?  Could we petition some small company to make them (preferably a good company)?  I know I'd buy one, but I guess that's obvious...
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless things have changed this year, you still can buy mag fed FAL's in Kali, namely from http://www.entreprise.com/

They sell Imbel, their own manufacture and even order you DSA if you want. They can do all the DROS and background check at the shop.

I built two Imbel kits, Entreprise installed the barrels for me and parkerized and headspaced them too. They work great. They are sold without the pistol grip installed, but the grip stud is still there. If needed, the pistol grip pops on in about 20 seconds. I think that you can still have the flash suppressor since it does not have to be registered as an Assult Rifle. Ask Lawrence at Entreprise, he knows all of the legal details. They also have a full manufacturing plant on site and may be able to help you with your hunting project.

Someone at falfiles slapped together a fix for the missing pistol grip by taping it to a shooting glove using 100mph black tape. Keeps you legal and lets you keep the original trigger.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen FALs at the gunshows in the last year, so Im pretty sure you can still get them here. (Silicon Valley)

dex's first reply post ;)
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are too far from Entreprise, find an FFL to do the transfer for you and order an Imbel receiver from FAC or AIM.  I just picked up my Type 1 this morning from Entreprise.  Beware of their QC though.  The first one he gave me was crap and I'm not too sure on the second one either but since this is my first FAL, I have nothing to compare it too.  The first one had bad threads around the gas piston hole, they were double tapped or cross threaded and the hole was crooked also.  Tooling marks on both receivers.  Cuts for charging handle may need a little work.  Lots of burs and chips left in slots inside receiver and all this was parkerized over too.  The receiver I gave back to them was handed to somebody else who works there and was told to just ship it to somebody else.  It should have been scrapped if you ask me.  If anyone wants, I can give the serial# off of it so you can watch out for it.  Entreprise does seem very understanding and helpful though and they say they stand behind their work.  You might have better luck.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
While I have considered the possibility of just buying a grip-less FAL, I figured it would be difficult to hold and shoot, and thus unenjoyable to shoot.  

The pistol-grip taped to the glove idea sounds good in theory, but I believe that possession of all of the necessary parts to construct an assault weapon is considered equivalent to the possession of an assault weapon, whether or not the parts are assembled.

I kind of want a FAL I can hold and shoot comfortably (and legally) without setting myself up for charges of illegal possession of an assault weapon or conspiracy to construct an assault weapon.

Maybe I'll just hold off until I move out of state.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Making the FAL Kali legal

Ever seen one of those hydraulic car crushing things at the junk yard?  How about a furnace at a steel mill?

Move, dude, you won't regret it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top