Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2002 10:37:19 AM EDT
Just curious. But does anyone know of any tests done objectively (with a calibrated sound meter, not just ringing in the ears) of various-caliber/gauge firearms? I also would like to know if that changes in a normal-size room. Most interested in 5.56x45mm/.223, .45 ACP, 7.62x51mm/.308 and 12-gauge. TIA
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#1]
My 100% objective test rated guns as being really,really,really,really,really, loud.

Link Posted: 3/15/2002 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I saw somewhere on the web once a listing of different caliburs and the average decibels of each but I have no idea where it was.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#3]
what'd he say?
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Outdoors:  Loud.

Indoors:  Louder than hell.

Muzzle brake:  Really really loud, but probably not louder than hell.

Muzzle brake, indoors:  punctured eardrums.

All of these things are going to be deafening, but the .45 will be less deafening.

No charge for the above analyses.  Are ya writing a report for school or what?  
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Caliber wouldn't be the only factor to consider.  Length of barrel, whether or not a brake is installed, powder charge of round etc. would also be things to consider.  Always wear hearing protection when shooting.  I made the mistake of firing off about 6 quick rounds out of my AR without wearing mine.  I had my muffs around my neck but forgot they weren't over my ears - big mistake.  Before I fired the last shot my ears were popping like rice crispies - something had to be damaged from that.  I once shot a deer in Texas with an 18" 7mm08 with a brake installed.  I was sitting against a rock ledge that rose about 50' high directly behind me - my ears rang for two days!  I usually don't notice any ringing after firing a single shot when I'm hunting, I have my hearing tested yearly and haven't seen any deterioration so far.  Never fire a weapon indoors for the fun of it - the sound reflects back to you so its always more damaging.  Although single bursts of excessive noise will damage your hearing, its the continous noise even at moderate levels that get your ears in the end.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
what'd he say?

Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't post the table here, but here's some information I found that seems reasonable:
www.pressenter.com/~audiodr/noise.htm#guns

Jim
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
what'd he say?

Something about "crowded buns, feely."  Or maybe "chowder buns, mealy."  Eh?
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Eh,  what'd he say?
haloed grounds are kneeling??

That doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Shotguns vary, with light loads you can shoot all day outside without ear plugs. With magnum loads, they are high pitched and loud like .357's. I always wear ear protection. For .223 and .308 I always wear ear protection even outside, just being safe. For 9mm, .40 and .45 I usually wear ear protection too, once and a while is not too bad without. For 9mm HK MP-5s, they are so quiet, you don't even have to bother with ears.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#11]
What?
All I can hear is that ringing in my ears...
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Shotguns vary, with light loads you can shoot all day outside without ear plugs. With magnum loads, they are high pitched and loud like .357's. I always wear ear protection. For .223 and .308 I always wear ear protection even outside, just being safe. For 9mm, .40 and .45 I usually wear ear protection too, once and a while is not too bad without. For 9mm HK MP-5s, they are so quiet, you don't even have to bother with ears.

A gunblast will always damage your ears. Just because the noise does not cause pain does not mean that it does not do damage. Just wear ear protection all the time(while shooting ), what legitimate reason would there be not to? Too cool for that safety crap?

Here is a site with a few measurements of gunblast: www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml
This has readings of different length barrels. This is more important than the load, or cartridge. A 12 gauge for instance is more than three times as loud with an 18" barrel than a 28" barrel.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I took part in the test shown in the link back in 99. Good data on weapons from .22LR to .308 Win

www.guns.connect.fi/rs/trial1999.html
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn loud...

As a young lad, I had a chance to go with my brother to his training range (Green Beret).  He gave me an opportunity to fire a buffet of guns, but neither of us had ear protection for about two hours of shooting.

As I recall, I heard nothing for three days after, other than ringing and dull voices if somebody shouted.  My hearing came back, but I've worn cans every since.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My 100% objective test rated guns as being really,really,really,really,really, loud.

You're exaggerating. Everyone knows guns are only really, really, really, really, loud.

Link Posted: 3/15/2002 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the responses--all of them--and the links. Some of you guys really crack me up.

BTW, I'm not doing a school report or anything. Just wanted to know, especially the indoor numbers. After all, if you're in the house when unwanted company comes a-calling, you're not going to have time to don hearing protection in most cases IMHO. And FYI, I do advocate using hearing protection, though I don't always employ it when hunting. Plinking or range work, always use plugs. Maybe one of these days I'll spring for electronic protection.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 5:24:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Just go shooting with the sonics ear plugs, they only have about 9Db protection.
I'd guess,from loudest to quietest:
1. 7.62x51
2. 5.56mm
3. 45ACP
4. 12ga.

I shot a 45ACP inside a van once without earplugs, my ears rang for days.
I now have permanent damage to my hearing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You're not alone...I fired a .357 indoors once w/o protection...
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Just go shooting with the sonics ear plugs, they only have about 9Db protection.
1. 7.62x51
2. 5.56mm
3. 45ACP
4. 12ga.

I have two sets of these plugs. One is normal, and the other I pulled the inserts and cut round disks out of the cardboard that it was packaged with and insert the round cut out in between the pug and insert.
I use the modified plugs and muffs when I shoot very loud rifles that have muzzle brakes or are as loud as a 50BMG.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#20]
a quick search turned this up,
TOY DECIBELS/DURATION AGE USE VERDICT
cellphone 71 - continuous under 18 months safe
plastic hammer 95 - continuous under 18 months unsafe
rock guitar 81 - continuous under 18 months safe
air horn 130 - continuous under 18 months  unsafe
rattle 100 - continuous under 18 months unsafe
tambourine 91 - continuous under 18 months unsafe
cap gun 100 - continuous over 18 months unsafe
machine gun 99 - continuous under 18 months unsafe
police gun 95 - continuous under 18 months unsafe
dashboard 90 - continuous under 18 months safe
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Guns aren't loud.  A .44 magnum handgun fired from an enclosed "box stand", that's loud.  I went deaf for about 20 seconds; when my hearing came back there was a very loud ring.  I know I took some major hearing loss from that, but oh well.  The site of a moving off 8-point whitetail buck kinda makes you forget all about ear plugs.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Guns aren't loud.  A .44 magnum handgun fired from an enclosed "box stand", that's loud.  I went deaf for about 20 seconds; when my hearing came back there was a very loud ring.  I know I took some major hearing loss from that, but oh well.  The site of a moving off 8-point whitetail buck kinda makes you forget all about ear plugs.

My grandfather tells me a story about him driving along in the country and seeing a rabbit near the road on the passenger side.  He stops, pulls out his .44 Mag, and shoots across the passenger seat thru the open window.  He said he was deaf for a few days afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Once, when younger and more foolish, I spent a day at the range, even though I forgot my hearing protection.  I shot a few different calibers.  Personally, I thought the .45 ACP was the loudest out of 12 gauge, .30-06, .223, and 7.62mm NATO.  I was deaf for several hours and my ears rang for about a week.  I still get a sharp shooting pain in my ears whenever I listen to music (even with the volume low) for any extended period of time.  When shooting now I use ear plugs and earphones.

Link Posted: 3/16/2002 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Thanks for the responses--all of them--and the links. Some of you guys really crack me up.

BTW, I'm not doing a school report or anything. Just wanted to know, especially the indoor numbers. After all, if you're in the house when unwanted company comes a-calling, you're not going to have time to don hearing protection in most cases IMHO. And FYI, I do advocate using hearing protection, though I don't always employ it when hunting. Plinking or range work, always use plugs. Maybe one of these days I'll spring for electronic protection.

In a defensive shooting situation you are going to need your ears, so protection is out of the question.  In a barricaded extended shoot-out scenario where you have other angles covered by other people it might behoove you to wear a plug in one ear.  Either way, shooting inside is going to cause damage to your hearing.  Which makes good reason not to shoot just to shoot an intruder, but to shoot if you are really in danger.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Effects of gunfire on hearing along with data on dB levels of various firearms.

www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?id=2052

Haven't read any data on noise levels within a room, but that would be an interesting experiment.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I make an effort to wear both plugs and muffs when shooting my 50's.  Plugs alone are almost adequate, but I do get some ringing in my ears after several rounds.  My brake tends to blow light weight items off of the tables next to me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a question for you guys, do soldiers in the field wear ear protection?
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I've spoken with several LEOs who have been involved in "shootings."  They all say the same thing...they didn't hear the shot, just a pop.

I think there must be some mechanism that protects one's "hearing" at some perceptual level when in an adrenaline charged situation...but I still think that it causes permanent damage to the "shooter's" ears/hearing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I have a question for you guys, do soldiers in the field wear ear protection?

I don't think so.  

There was a scene in Black Hawk Down about the "deafness" one solidier experienced from having a heavy caliber (don't know which one) firearm fired close to his ears....

I would think they all experienced this but, as I said before, when in combat there may be some mechanism that perceptually protects you...up to a point.

Perhaps those who have seen combat may care to comment on this?

Link Posted: 3/16/2002 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

A cheaper thought is to have one of those squeezie plugs by your nightstand.  Throw one in one year and if you need to fire, at least one ear is protected.   Electronic muffs are awesome but you'll have to have them handy.  The squeezie plugs, you can have all over the house for a few bucks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
There was a scene in Black Hawk Down about the "deafness" one solidier experienced from having a heavy caliber (don't know which one) firearm fired close to his ears....

I'm pretty sure it was a SAW (5.56)
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
1. 7.62x51
2. 5.56mm
3. 45ACP
4. 12ga.

Real men can take a bullet in the ear with no problem!  You, my good man, are not a real man.

I challenge anyone to see if they are in fact true REAL MEN.  BUT, before taking the challenge, go here and inform them of your intent to prove yourself a man....

www.darwinawards.com/darwin/
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#34]
if you want to go deaf, shoot a rifle w/ a muzzle brake...my m4 bushy made my ears ring w/ ear plugs.i put the muffs on pronto..i got to get this thing off!
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#35]
264 Win Mag was the loudest "normal rifle" I ever heard.  In response to; "Real men can take a bullet in the ear with no problem! You, my good man, are not a real man."
My "real man" buddy pays over $1200 each for his hearing aids..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top