Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2002 1:55:55 AM EDT
I just got through giving my Ruger MKII a royal beating.  You literally have to beat the living crap out of the thing to take apart and reassemble the gun.  That has got to be the worst process I've gone through to clean a gun.  Anyone know the brownells catalog number for the dealy-bob that makes taking it apart easier?
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 3:22:15 AM EDT
[#1]
LMAO.

...and I thought I was the only one!
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 3:29:14 AM EDT
[#2]
ruger cleaning instuctions. it is a pain in the arse without the instructions!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:07:19 AM EDT
[#3]
The dealy-bob only replaces the little whoosits that pins the upper & lower together.  If you had to beat the two halves apart & together before, you still will after.  It will loosen/smooth up with time.

Learn to love it.  Just get the little dangly thing in its pocket and all will be well.

Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:32:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Norm G, I got rid of mine because the dangly thing wore me out.  The pistol is a shooter out of the box though!  And the price is right.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:41:03 AM EDT
[#5]
ROFLMAO!!

You guys crack me up...dealy-bob..whoosits...dangly thing...pocket.

I am not laughing at you, but with you!  I was trying to tell my wife how to take it apart and put it back together...

That thing-a-ma-bob goes into that what-ya-callit before you put the doohicky in.

However, I still love my MKII!

medcop
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:54:09 AM EDT
[#6]
It happens to the best of us.  I have two Ruger Mark II's and I refuse to modify them by buying the parts to make them easier to take down.  Think of it as a challenge!  Keep a copy of the instructions with the guns, and it does get easier with time.  Every Mark II has been there...or will be there :^)
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 5:30:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I feel for ya man.  First time is a beyatch.  I just got finished installing a target trigger, sear and hammer in my MII.  A lesson in patience that was.  Now could do it easy.  But that first time.  Yow.

Heres a few pics of my baby:

Hope this photo posting thingy works.

James
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 5:41:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 6:36:51 AM EDT
[#9]
No doubt about it....there is a technique to cleaning a Mark II.  The assembly is the most difficult but once you know what to look for and listen to...it isn't that bad.  It's that upside down, gravity thing that is strange...
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#10]
So I am not the only one.  I'm one of those guys who just likes to take things apart for the sake of it.  I usually ignore the phrase, "do not disassemble past this point."  I of course have a few extra parts lying around, they I eventually find where they fit.  The Ruger is just a little tricky but goes together fine now.  I also just received a catalogue from Volquartsen and they have some great looking MKIIs.  One is their 3.5 compact carry conversion.  Bull barrel at only 3.5 inches with a better sight.  That is one of my next projects.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I wanna chime in too!

Cursed that damn pistol first time I didn't get that hammer strut thingy dangling in the correct upside down position..you know.

Still  love to shoot 'em.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Hi, my name is Scott and I've taken apart a Ruger MK II.  There should be some kind of 12 step program to recovery.  I guess the worst part was beating the terd out of the reciever and barrel to get the holes lined up.  Not a fun thing, beating a new gun.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Jimmybcool, where did you get your barrel threaded?  Also what suppressor is that?
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#14]
schapman

I bought the suppressor and got the barrels (see pic of 10/22) threaded at the Armory in Scottsdale AZ.  They are a Class II manufacturer and made the supressor for me.  While they ain't cheap, they don't provide cheap results.  The fit and finish of this work has been flawless.  And if the bolt didn't cycle in the guns you would never know it was fired.

Not the best pic but you can see the suppressor on the end of the 10/22 here.

My only advice regarding Class III stuff is try and find someone good IN STATE.  This is because I purchased a submachinegun on Sept 7, and it still hasn't transferred to my local dealer.  Once that happens THEN I get to submit paperwork for transfer to me.  Normally it doesn't take this long but I will never do business like this again due to the added transfer delays.  I'm guessing the total wait before I recieve my weapon might be a year.  To me that is BS but what can I do?????

If you buy in state, there is only the one transfer.  

James
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just got through giving my Ruger MKII a royal beating.  You literally have to beat the living crap out of the thing to take apart and reassemble the gun.  That has got to be the worst process I've gone through to clean a gun.

Hmmm.  Mine was a bit stiff at first, but I didn't have to beat on it to strip it down or reassemble it.  Keep at it; it gets easier & easier every time you take the weapon down - you get more practiced at it, and the weapon's fit loosens up a tad bit.

Anyone know the brownells catalog number for the dealy-bob that makes taking it apart easier?

I use a spent 9mm shell to pry open the lock lever. The "dealy-bop" you refer to merely allows you to remove the bolt without stripping the barrel-receiver assembly from the grip frame; it doesn't make the full strip-down any easier.

Good luck,
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#16]
You may purchase your dealy-bob from the inventor, Dino Longuiera here www.majesticarms.com Makes the MKII incredibly easy to strip for cleaning and allows the gun to keep it's tolerances much longer. Have 'em on both my Rugers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top