Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2002 7:50:50 PM EDT
I think I am going to get a swan sleeve instead of a #40 flip sight for a new flattop I am getting.  My question is what length do I want.  I will be using true M4 handguards so does that preclude me from using the extended or super extended length sleeve?  Why would I want the extended or super extended length? Will an extended model mount further back or protrude further foreward?  The reason I ask is that Botach has the super extended on clearance for $129 so I thought I might get that one if it will mount right up and clear everything, IE charging handle and handguards.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, thats really cheap for the super extended, really cheap.  As far as I know ARMS doesn't allow dealers to discount prices on their products, thus they are usually the same price everywhere.  I bought a super extended used from the equipment exchange here for quite a bit more than the price you mentioned.  

Anyway I put the super ex on last years LEGP with the M4 handguards.  I had to shave just a tiny bit from the top of the handguard with a belt sander but it is covered by the rail so it looks good, even better then the gap you'd get with CAR handguards.  They all sit the same in the back and don't interfere with anything.  

I wanted to get the super ex so that I could experiment with the placement of an aimpoint since there is no set eye relief.  My aimpoint should be in this week so I can't say yet what I perfer.  The idea was that the ARMS mounts hold their value well and if I didn't like it I could likely sell it for nearly what I paid.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I just checked out the Botard page and I'd say to be careful.  They describe the mount as a Super Extended 14" but the picture they show, and part number 'ARMS-38STDPrice: $165.00 Sale Price: $129.00' don't seem to match.  The pic and original price are that of the extended, while the part number is for the standard.  What a mess!!

Just to review,

ARMS-38STD does not extend over the handguards and retails for $150

ARMS-38EX is the one pictured and retails for $165

ARMS-38s-EX is the 14" rail that nearly reaches the front site on carbines, it retails for $180

$129 is a good price for any of them, but I have no idea what you get if you ordered from them without asking.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#3]
4WG,

Only the standard will fit while using true M4 handguards.  

However, I have a super extended length placed on top of my Colt M4 HGs...  All I needed to do was dremel away a small amount of the HG for it to fit.  It'll be ugly as sin if the rail is removed, but it works for me.

You'll have this problem with both of the extended lengths, but the standard will be fine.

Now, if you stick to the Bushmaster Shorty style HGs, you can use whatever you wish.

E-mail me direct if you have any questions.

Also, do a search for my name as a topic starter in this forum.  I had a post with some pictures of my setup.  The title had something to do with ARMS #38S-EX
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 5:18:38 AM EDT
[#4]
You might want to look at the GG&G FIRE rail system. It's basically GG&Gs version of the swan sleeve but only comes in the extended length.

is supposed to work with M4 handguards without any additional work.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you know a baby Swan is a signet?

Just FYI, use it how you will
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top