Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2002 7:05:41 PM EDT
I don't want to spend much more than this.  Who makes a good one for around $30.  Don't want a thermold.  And I'd probably just get a couple 30 rounders.  Thanks for your input!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
USGI are the best for about 25.00 NIW, check the Equipment Exchange Forum, sometimes ya find em in there.(click on the very top of this page)
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
"Best" as in most reliable???

That would be finding an un-issued brand new USGI 20 round mag.  Typically $20 to $35

NIW USGI 30 rounders, then add a $1.50 green follower, are under $30 in the EE.

Thermolds run a close second....

Anything other mags are good only for using as targets.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
To clarify that, USGI refers to any US military contract magazines, which have any of the following manufacturer's markings on the bottom plate:

Colt
Adventure Line
Parson's Precision Products
Okay Industries
Sanchez

and several others.   The magazine bodies are aluminum, NOT steel, (steel mags are generally considered to be junk), anodized in a gold to brown color, and then coated with dry moly lube, which is grey, soft, and shows scratches and handling marks.   If the followers are light green, that's a plus.

Colt 20 rounders are EXCELLENT, too.  You should have a few of them as well as 30's because their shorter length makes it easier to shoot in a prone position or from the bench on sandbags.

You should be able to get any of these for no more than 25 bucks in like new condition.  Pay more, and you're paying too much.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Whats wrong with Thermolds. They are my favorite mags out of all. Never had a problem and they don't scratch up the mag well like the metal ones do
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#5]
USGI mags aren't black???  I would think that would look dumb with a gold mag.  Thanks for replying!!!  I didn't understand what the whole USGI story was with all of the sanchez, center, parson and so on.  Oh, and why is a green follower a good thing?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's my .02...I'd look in the EE, members here have nice prices. I wouldn't pay more than $15-$18 for a mag. There are millions of them, and I don't care about NIW because there are millions of them. As long as the plates are straight, tabs not broken, bodies not dented, lips not cracked, etc, buy it. Finish is meaningless. Mags, like weapons, are worthless if you don't use them....After all, we're not talking about the first Colt SAA ever made and its original shells here..lol
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#7]

"Best" as in most reliable???

Absolutely, never had a feed problem caused by my USGI mags(Okay Ind. & Parsons), both NIW and really used ones. I have had a couple of feed problems with Thermolds, but four rounds out of thousands is not bad! The only mags I use.......USGI and Thermold in that order.

You can do fine with the used USGI, I did see a bunch at the Equipment Exchange.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#8]
A black USGI mag has been painted after the old moly finish wore off.   Never pay more than 15 bucks for one just for that reason.  

If it doesn't have a soft, scratchable grey finish on it, it's not 'correct' for a USGI magazine.   That finish can be reapplied.  Dry moly lube is available, even in spray cans.  I use a one gallon can I picked up years ago and I dip the mag bodies in it and let them dry.  You can't tell that it's a refurbished mag when it's done.

The anodizing is gold/yellow to greenish brown because that's just the chemistry of that particular process that was used.   I think it's actually a "hardcoat" anodize due to its toughness, and hardcoat anodize jobs often have a darker yellow/greenish color to them.  

The green follower is a redesigned follower that resists tipping in the magazine body.  It improves  reliability over the black ones.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Brian.....
Check out Troys magazine FAQ on the "magazine forum"...www.ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?id=26
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:21:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Why do the manufactures put a moly coating on them?  Why is that better than plan blued metal?  Is it the same molly that some use to coat bullets for less fouling?  Thanks all!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I do have occasional problems with the USGI mags. I have quite a few 20 rnd Colt mags with the metal followers and have had problems with them. My thermolds never have problems. But then again the USGI's are much older. So some NIW USGI's would probably work very well. My PWA AR doesn't like Orlites but my M17s works fine with them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#12]
"Why do the manufactures put a moly coating on them? Why is that better than plan blued metal? Is it the same molly that some use to coat bullets for less fouling?"

Brian, the USGI contract mags are all made of aluminum.  This cannot be blued, that is a chemistry with steel.  The anodizing is a hard coat which still leaves a shiny, reflective surface.

The dry moly coating is a Mil-spec, and serves to prevent oxidation of the aluminum, lubricate the mag, but most importantly, stop the shiny aluminum from reflecting like a $(*#$ mirror and giving away your position.

It also matched the color (gray) of the ORIGINAL finish of the AR.

While the moly disulfide is the same as what bullets are coated with by some ammo makers and reloaders, the dry lube version also has carriers and binders that make it more like a paint.  The tumbling process that coats bullets is different from merely spraying the mags.

Dry Moly Lube is commonly available in most industrial type supply stores.  Avoid breathing the fumes when you spray it, do it outdoors.

Link Posted: 3/13/2002 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#14]
WOW, you are willing to spend $30 for AR mag?  Too rich for my blood.  

The most I ever spent on AR mag was $16 each for Thermold Mags from Ronin45 last year.  All my 20 and 30 round GI mags were between $5 to $10 and these were all purchased in last 16 months.  As long as the feed lips and body are not deformed or damaged they are all good mags... or can be made to be.  Springs are usually okay and all you need to do is change the follower to green ones if they are black on the 30 round mags.  Who care what kind of condition the finish is in since you can easily refinish them with Perma Slick G and make then look like new for few cents.

As someone once said here before, basically you are paying for the finish left on the mag.        
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#15]
i love thermolds.  the way they look in the rifle is awsome.  you doint have to worry about the finish wearing off either.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Folks,

USGI pre ban or whatever you want to call them are still selling for 12-15 bucks arround Ft Bragg.  I think that it is probably the same for any non-training base.  Is the 60 bucks or even a even 100 in gas worth getting a truck load of mags?  I say yes it is.  Perhaps I need to go into the mag business LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top