Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2002 3:07:15 PM EDT
I am new to this board, and I am going to buy a AR-15 LE M-4 for Dept. use but have a dillema, what is a better M-4 Bushmaster or DPMS Panther? Price is exactly the same for identical models so I guess I eill ask some experienced people which is the better gun?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess I would like to know your personal reasons why which rifle is better to, as in past experiences--good or bad. Thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#3]
First, WELCOME!!  You have found a great place here to learn and share.

I have a great experience with my DPMS, but either is a good choice.  Possibly in a LE capacity, the BM.  BM has a chrome-lined bore and chamber that the DPMS does not.  Without the lining, slightly more accurate, but slighly less reliable over the long term.  This is probably the only difference in the two.  Both good companies with excellent service etc.  You will be happy with either choice!!!  

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Bushmaster...I love all 4 of mine!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I am new to this board also but have been tinkering with ARs for a couple of years.  The Bushmaster Will be the better of the two.  From the outside finish to the chrome lined bore Bushmaster produces the only mil spec gun.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am new to this board also but have been tinkering with ARs for a couple of years.  The Bushmaster Will be the better of the two.  From the outside finish to the chrome lined bore Bushmaster produces the only mil spec gun.

1rfc2,
first, welcome to the board.

I believe some Bushmaster owners attempting to install SIR-M's are finding their Bushmasters may not be quite mil-spec.

so2315 has specified an 'AR' for Dept. use so I definitely agree on the chrome lined barrel - easier maintenance.  Based on Fulton Armory's success with their FN Police Special - with a chrome line barrel - I'm beginning to believe chrome lined barrels may be doing just fine in the accuracy department.  (The $1000 Fulton rifle outshoot three other rifles costing about $4,000.)

Although not one of the choices I would buy the ArmaLite M15A4.  (Come to think of it I did.)

Between the two choices specified I would choose Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I cannot attest to BM.. however, I have (4) DPMS and luv 'em!.. am sure either is a good choice.  Have seen many positives on BM, but do not discount DPMS.... IMHO
Bravo5-2
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#8]
another vote for Bushy
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#9]
As my Iowegian shooting buddy was fond of saying:  BOOOOOOOOSHmaster.  Between DPMS and Bushmaster I'd have to cast my vote in favor of the one from Maine.

However, 5subslr5 has a point.  You might want to consider Armalite.  The Jacksonville City police recently evaluated all AR's and settled on the Armalites.  Their selection process included on site visitation of manufacturers and technical evaluations of their final product.

*****No flames intended!*****
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Bushmaster
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I believe some Bushmaster owners attempting to install SIR-M's are finding their Bushmasters may not be quite mil-spec.  
 5subslr5 is correct and I was not quite clear.  BM uses ordnance steel in there barrel and Manganese Phosphate finish which is the best thing since park.  The Chrome lined bore at a minimun reduces wear and legthen barrel life.  If you look in BM's tech part of their website they do not come out and say it but they arte advertising up to a 20,000 rnd barrel life with proper care. They do come out and say one MOA is the norm for accuracy.  How ever their tolerances are slightly tighter than MIl spec which is why some orilites and thermos wont fit.  As for the Armalite.  I have a Eagle preban lower and if I could have found a preban Armalite upper that is what it would be sporting.  But unless you are LE Armalite only wants to sell straight tubes or ones with muzzle breaks.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2002 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How ever their tolerances are slightly tighter than MIl spec which is why some orilites and thermos wont fit.  

I've never heard of Thermolds being a problem in a Bushmaster - I have seen people who didn't know the difference (between a Thermold and Orlite).

Some Orlites don't fit and its NOT because their tolorances are too tight.  It has to do with the bevel they use in the inside of the magazine well.  Its not a large as Colts (which the Orlites were originall designed around).  Later production Orlites fit Bushmaster's just fine, earlier ones require some minor trimming of the ridges to work.

Oh my vote goes for the Bushmaster for a duty rifle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I challenge any one on this board to put a Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River Arms or Olympic Arms forged receiver side by side with no markings and tell me the difference between them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Learn your abc's.
Armalite
Bushmaster
Colt
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Learn your abc's.
Armalite
Bushmaster
Colt

Armalite
Bushmaster
Colt
DPMS
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#16]
A couple of additions.  I got the thermomold bit from a friend of mine and they would fit in the well but not lock into place.  The Orilite issue I have seen myself.  I only have Orilite 30s and the production code for those that fit Bushmasters is 1135-1673.  The other is Johnny is correct.  Another tidbit I have come across is Bushmaster subcontracting out to OLY and vice versa this is only hersay, but if they are forged and then milled they will be identical. The lower is not the real issue.  The part that controls where the bullet goes is.  I have not had any hands on with RRA but I would go with the tried and true Bushmaster.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#17]
A-B-C-D's
All cute stuff.
Don't forget our friends in the NorthWest.
My Olympic Arms 16 inch has functioned wonderfully and produced it's best group @ 0.261,3rounds @ 100 yards.
All mags work fine.
Price was right
The company is easy to work with.
Good LE department.

Best of all--it's not a Colt.
Absoulutly nothing against the company as a whole.
I'll never part with my Python.
Just have seen too many problems and unacceptable accuracy with Colts.

D vs. B ?
I shoot with folks who own both and they both stack up just as high.
I shy away from chrome linings but Bushy has been around for a LONG time.

Don't forget---they ALL copied Armalite.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top