Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2002 6:50:01 PM EDT
Which is better (in 9mm) - Speer 124g +P Gold Dot or Federal 124g (or 115g) +P+ Hydra-Shok (out of a Sig p226)?
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The one that hits the target.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The one that hits the target.

that said, (in my range tests) the gold dot damaged a soap bar much more then that hydra shock did.
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes but did the soap continue to advance on your position.

It has been my experience that stuff is hard to kill.

Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]
pardon my boredom

Both are excellent pistol rounds, shoot whichever you prefer and focus on hitting your target. Unless you are in law enforcement, I say empty the mag, and check the target while you reload. LEO's got too much BS to deal w/ if they fire on a suspect, let alone kill him.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:30:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:50:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Both rounds are realtively commonplace on LE, although I cannot quote specific departments or agencies off the top of my head. Shoot both, flip a coin, and go with the winner.

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:05:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Amen, Adam...

Given all other things equal...heck, they're just about equal!

Speer and Federal both are excellent companies, with outstanding quality control...your Sig will "go bang" every time you pull the trigger, and either of these rounds will provide you with awesome performance.

FYI: Kiesler's (as advertised in Shotgun News) is selling Federal's awesome 9BPLE load for just a little less than +P+ Hydra-Shok.  It's the +P+ version of its 115 grain JHP, and has been a staple with many agencies for years.  Of the three, I'd have to go with that one.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Not a lot of difference, but the Gold Dot holds together better on various substances such as auto glass, and tends to give somewhat better penetration without compromising expansion.

Pick the one you like best and that is most accurate & reliable in your gun(s).
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know about Gold Dot, but I've just switched my carry round from Hydra-Shok to Golden Sabre, because of the muzzle-flash issue.  

Hydra-Shok rounds make an enormously bright fireball, which is all well and good during daylight, but sucks in a low-light tactical situation.

Beyond that, well, hit the bad guy enough times, and he'll go down, no matter what round you're using.

-BP
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I picked up some 9mm 147gr Winchester Silvertip (?) hollowpoint loads at the last gunshow, as WEIGHT is supposed to give the best penetration/wound cavity. I haven't actually shot any of these yet, 'cause I plan on using them in my "personal defense" clips. Anyone out there with any experience with these? My previous PD rounds were the 115gr Hydra-Shoks. The gun is a Beretta 92FS.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#12]
My dept switched from silvertips to gold dot after examination of rounds from subjects wearing heavy clothing the silvertip didnt consitantly expand right. and testing the hyda-shok it suposedly was not very consistant either. just my 2 cents i like the gold dot. the wincester sxt is being tested by alot of departments now they say its the same as the black talon they just took the black off and changed the name.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#13]
If you would like to see test results for various 9mm loads you might try the Ammo Lab web site. You’ll probably find the information very enlightening.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I found the Gold dots to be very accurate in my 92fs.  Acctually, it is the most accurate round I have fired in the pistol to date.

This would be a great topic....IN THE HANDGUNS FORUMS!!   There ya go Cockedandlocked-did it for ya.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for your help.  I "google-searched" hydra-shoks vs. gold dots.  Saw the issue with unreliable expansion with the HS after passing through clothing but didn't know if it also applied to the GD as well.  Eh, I think I'll flip a coin.  I can get the GD for cheaper, though.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#16]
FWIW my Sig 9mm shoots much tighter groups with Gold Dots, Hydra-Shocks tend to string vertically.
However my Sig 220 in 45acp prefers Hydra-Shocks over anything else ever tried. Go figure. If either hits the target it will definitely change the bad guy's dinner plans.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#18]
The Gold Dot has a "bonded" jacket that is less likely to separate from the lead portion of the bullet.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I picked up some 9mm 147gr Winchester Silvertip (?) hollowpoint loads at the last gunshow, as WEIGHT is supposed to give the best penetration/wound cavity. I haven't actually shot any of these yet, 'cause I plan on using them in my "personal defense" clips. Anyone out there with any experience with these? My previous PD rounds were the 115gr Hydra-Shoks. The gun is a Beretta 92FS.

I have over a case of 147gr 9mm Hydra Shoks. I have shot about a case of these, in handguns and a Colt 9mm AR, at paper,water jugs, water melons, etc. Personally, these are my favorite our of all of the hollow points I have tried, from Black Talons to SXTs (aren't those the same???). They handle really well, and out of a 16" barrel-- they are awesome!

(I believe they no longer make these anymore-- they are now 124gr I think)

DrEvil,
If you are having trouble deciding which ammo to carry, just stagger your magazine with both types of ammo... In my home defense 32-rd magazine, I used to load 2 rounds of ball ammo, and 1 hollow point, then repeat...
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I shoot both Gold Dot 124g +P and Hydra-Shok 124g +P+ in my SIG 225 and 226. I've never used the Hi-Shok 115 +P+. The Gold Dot +P rounds have noticably more recoil than the Hydra-Shok +P+.
Per Calibers http://www.greent.com/
Gold Dot 124g +P: 1220 fps, 410 ft-lb muzzle energy
Hydra-Shok 124g +P+: 1,180 fps, 370 ft-lb
Hi-Shok 115g +P+: 1.300 fps, 432 ft-lb

I can't tell a difference in accuracy between the two rounds I'm familiar with. I use the Gold Dots for carry ... based on the data above and on the excellent test reports on the Gold Dot bullet. I have never had any kind of problem with either round in my SIGs ... none.  I don't expect to buy any more of the Hydra-Shoks as I've just had such great shooting results with the Gold Dots.  And my local dealer has great prices on the Gold Dots ($12/50). Hope this helps.  -The_Brick
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I believe the Marshall report has the 115 gr +P+ loads leading 9mm in one shot stops at around 91%.  The worst after ball ammo are the 147gr.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I believe the Marshall report has the 115 gr +P+ loads leading 9mm in one shot stops at around 91%.  The worst after ball ammo are the 147gr.

Stopping power in my book means hitting your target. If I shot you with a 147gr Hydra Shok, I guarantee you it would do a lot of damage, possibly kill you (depending on where it hit), and hurt like a bitch! Also-- 115gr +p+ ammo would probably overpenetrate the target, unless its a hollow point, which is unclear in your original post.

From personal tests, the 147gr Hydra Shok, out of a pistol, causes way more damage to watermelons and water jugs, compared to standard ball ammo using the same pistol.

I reloaded my own "hot" loads, using various bullets, and the 90gr Sierra hollow point loaded TO THE MAX is my preferred choice for 9mm reloads!

I was very happy with the damage caused by the 147gr Hydra Shok.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top