Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2002 7:00:25 AM EDT
What's a good price to pay for used 30 round mags?  I found some at a pawn shop for $10 each but they are beat up pretty bad.  They had some plastic ones for $20.  Good or bad prices??

Also, can you legally use 20/30 round mags in a post-ban gun?

Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:09:44 AM EDT
[#1]
$10 is a good price for USGI mags. "Beat up" isn't very descriptive, what matters is if they function or not. A lot of my mags look like shit, but work perfectly which is what matters. I don't think there are any aftermarket metal mags that are worth $10.

What kind of plastic ones? Thermold, Orlites, the expandable ones or the ones that supposedly fit both the AR and Mini-14? Regardless, I don't think any of them are worth $20 when you can get the real deal for cheaper.

Yes you can legally use high cap mags in post ban guns.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#2]

i just sold four usgi mags..with about 50-60% finish for 15.00 each and was happy. it seems as if nearly new mags sell on the equipment exchange here for around 20-25.

also, i was looking to unload five usgi with nearly all of the finish removed and figured the 10-12 for them would be reasonable.

your pawn shop prices seem fair to me as long as the mags function properly and are structurally sound.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:30:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input guys....

One other thing, I've heard that GI mags are now being stamped "restricted" so that the govt. can ID them and confiscate them if found in the public sector.  Any truth to this rumor?

I heard this from my local military surplus store who said they didn't deal with "restricted" merchandise such as 30rd mags, gas masks, and kevlar helmets.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#4]
used mags are real easy to repair and refinish.  Someone just recently posted a very well written "how to."  I was so inspired I redid all my mags, and every one came out like new.

don't be afraid of a used looking mag...provided the followers and springs are okay...
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Only hicap mags manufactured after 9/94 are marked restricted.  And yes, that magic date makes it illegal for us normal folk, however there were millions of 30 rounders produced before the ban.  If it isn't marked, its legal to own.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys....

One other thing, I've heard that GI mags are now being stamped "restricted" so that the govt. can ID them and confiscate them if found in the public sector.  Any truth to this rumor?

I heard this from my local military surplus store who said they didn't deal with "restricted" merchandise such as 30rd mags, gas masks, and kevlar helmets.

Those so called restricted mags have been out since 1994 with the assault weapons ban.  They are perfectly legal for law enforcement to use and for FFL dealers to possess to sell to law enforcement.

I spoken to a few friends in the military in various units about the mags.  A guy in one unit said the supply Sergeant made them swap out all the old non-stamped mags for new stamped restricted mags.  They were told that the old mags were being destroyed.  My friend said knowing the supply Sergeant, though, those old non-stamped mags most likely ended up on a gunsow table for sell.

Friends in other military outfits say that they have a mixture of old non-stamped and new restricted mags.

One guy I know says that haven't gotten any restricted mags yet.  

Eventually probably all the military mags will be stamped restricted through attrition.

Another buddy tells me that there is a gun store just across the Pakistan border from Kandahar that sells full auto AK's for $25 U.S.

Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Only hicap mags manufactured after 9/94 are marked restricted.  And yes, that magic date makes it illegal for us normal folk, however there were millions of 30 rounders produced before the ban.  If it isn't marked, its legal to own.

So are you saying it would just be dated OR would it be marked "restricted" ?  I just want to make sure so I don't get screwed by the pawn shop! LoL  Their biz is to screw ya if they can.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
used mags are real easy to repair and refinish.  Someone just recently posted a very well written "how to."  I was so inspired I redid all my mags, and every one came out like new.

don't be afraid of a used looking mag...provided the followers and springs are okay...

I'd love to read that article.... got a link to it or copy of it anywhere?
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#9]
the post still exists under the "magazines" forum, it's on one of those pages there...the guy posted pics and everything, best "how to" I've seen in a long time.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#10]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=82469

Why thank you.  Flattery will get you everywhere!

WTL - I have notice many of your recent posts/questions have been answered many times over in the forums.  Learn to use the "search" button to find what you are looking for.  It will help.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Since when did kevlar helmets and gas masks become restricted items? I see them in almost every adventure/outdoor catalog that comes along. And I thought only body armor or helmets that would stop a high velocity rifle round were restricted. What is the scoop on this as I would like to someday add a kevlar helmet to my collection of steel GI and foreign made helmets?
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Since when did kevlar helmets and gas masks become restricted items? I see them in almost every adventure/outdoor catalog that comes along. And I thought only body armor or helmets that would stop a high velocity rifle round were restricted. What is the scoop on this as I would like to someday add a kevlar helmet to my collection of steel GI and foreign made helmets?

They are not restricted in the sense that they are illegal to own, but restricted in the sense that the military is required to "demilitarize" them before release to the public as surplus. Demil for a US military kevlar helmet consists of removing the support system (the nylon webbing that the headband attaches to). It is easy enough to restore it to normal condition.

I'd watch out on USGI surplus magazines, though. Many restricted postban magazines (particularly the ones by Center) have postban date stamps but do not have the "Restricted" stamp required by law. I have seen these at gun shows and surplus stores. While posessing one of these is a "minor," "piddling" violation of the Assault Weapons Ban that ATF probably couldn't usually be bothered with, it is also a felony and you are safer to avoid such entanglements entirely. If you can not be absolutely sure it is not a post ban magazine, do not buy it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry folks, I didn't realize there was a special forum for "magazines", otherwise I would have placed this post there.

Also, I apologize for annoying anyone with my redundant questions that have already been answered many times over.

I'm just learning the ropes here so you'll have to excuse me.

To all those helpful folks, thanks again for all the info, input and suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#15]

yea! what raf said.

sometimes i dont read about a topic UNTIL  i've seen it posted four or five times.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top