Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2002 6:54:51 PM EDT
Hello,
    As some as you may know, I have been refinishing my SKS stock.  Now that I've completely refinished it, I'm wondering, for future reference, exactly how do you remove the gas tube from the hand guard?

Thanks
BTW: I'll have pictures of the newly refinished SKS within a couple of days.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Just move the lever below the rear sight.  Lift it within it's groove and the front part of the gas tube can be lifted off.  Move it further and the short operating rod in the rear sight assembly will come rocketing out.  

One word of advise, make sure you put the operating rod back in place before you go to the range.  The SKS is rather heavy to be a bolt action rifle.  Not that I've ever done that.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 11:58:41 PM EDT
[#2]
No, you're misunderstanding the question.  I am talking about physically removing the METAL from the WOOD.  I know how to break down my rifle *laughs* but thanks for the input.

Can anybody out there tell me how to REMOVE the metal gas tube from the WOOD handguard? I'd much appreciate it.

Link Posted: 3/11/2002 4:41:48 AM EDT
[#3]
From everything that I have read, you can not remove the upper hand guard from the gas tube. It is supposed to be a permanent installation...But I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 4:47:00 AM EDT
[#4]
If you closely examine the rear ferrule (end that mates with the rear sight), you'll see a headed pin. That pin can be drifted out with a hammer and punch. It's really tight and you'll have to whack it (make sure you're whacking the small end of the pin and not the head). Once the pin is out, you can slide the ferrule and wood off the tube.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 7:32:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Can't you just spin the wood around on the gas tube so the opening on the wood lines up with the open ended side of the gas tube like on an AK? It's kinda tight and hard to do, but that's how it's done.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Great movie! hahahah... thanks guys! I really appreciate it.  I'm on my way to becoming an SKS pro!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top