Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2002 6:27:43 PM EDT
I am being VERY nit picky here, but I just brought a Bushmaster XM15-E2S Friday, took it apart today to get familiar with it, get rid of excess oil, etc... to get ready for some shooting this Friday.

Looking at the tip of my barrel where the crown is, I see nothing but the dark phosphate coating on the crown of the bore, and into the barrel as well.

All other chrome lined barrels I own, extend the chrome lining out over the crown and is clearly visible on the tip of the barrel.  I've looked at other Bushmasters that exhibit this, but just noticed mine doesn't.

Anyone else here have a Bushmaster with a chrome lined barrel, but the chrome doesn't protrude all the way out?

Just worried the chroming wasn't done as complete as it should have been, or they coated over the chrome with the dark phosphate, which will probably fix itself after some shooting.
The chamber is clearly chrome lined, but I wonder if it fades out a few inches before the barrel tip in my case?

Long question short, anyone else ever get a new Bushmaster with the chrome lining not clearly visible on the business end?  Just wonder if the chroming wasn't complete in my case.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had 2 Bushmaster chrome lined barrels and neither showed chrome on the crown.  I would have thought it sloppy if they did.  Any phosphate finish inside the barrel will surely wear off after a few shots.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a bushy 16 but it has an ak74 comp brake on it and it makes it hard to see the crown of the barrel. But if you shine a penlight down the brake you should be able to see a chrome linning shinning right back at you! unless you order a varmit gun or some thing special i think all their barrels and bores are chromed.  bob cole
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one Bushmaster that has the chrome on the crown as you describe, but the rest of them have phosphate on the crown.

I always thought the one with the chrome on the crown was a factory second or something.  I do not think having phosphate on the crown is bad or unusual; in fact, I think that is the norm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top