Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2002 1:52:30 PM EDT
I'm starting to dislike my stock trigger, and was wondering what my options are for better triggers.  Also, will I need a gunsmith, or is it something I can do myself?  Finally, what kind of prices am I looking at?
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
slt223, check out Wolff gunsprings.  They sell a kit that has a reduced power mainspring and trigger rebound spring.  It really lightens the trigger both single and double action.  I installed it myself, but get a buddy to help with the rebound spring as you may need an extra set of hands.  You'll also need good screw drivers so you don't bugger up the screws on your sideplate. I can't remember the price, but it was only a few dollars. I comes with instructions and does a nice job.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I am considering the same thing my self.

The gunsmith I use works on S&W's AND he is used by some top competitors.

John Pride being one of them.

His name is alan Tanaka
Here is his phone# and address:

AT Custom Gunworks
17924 S. Hobart Blvd.
Gardena, California 90248
(310) 327-2721

Tell him Mark Lewis said referred you to him.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#3]
My best advise is to turn to Brownell's.
Buy a copy of Jerry Kunhausen's book on gunsmithing the S&W revolvers.
Buy a S&W screwdriver set.  I think they sell a small set just for S&W, not the big set like I have.
Buy a square or triangular ceramic stone.
Buy a spring set.

With the above, plus whatever lube you like, you can do a very good job yourself.
Mostly, you need to polish a few parts like the rebound slide, and replace or alter the rebound spring.
I usually don't replace the mainspring, since I want a SMOOTH trigger action, not a lighter pull that may not be reliable.  Lighter hammer strikes are OK for target guns, but not for defense guns.  Replacing the rebound spring will give a lighter pull, but still have plenty of primer popping power.

Again, you want a smooth pull, with no stacking, or "lumps or bumps".
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
What Faris said.

I replaced the main spring in mine...on some ammo, I had failure to fire so I went back to the factory installed mainspring.  Polish the rebiund slide witha stone or jewlers rouge, then alter the rebound spring ( i forget how many coils to cut, but not many).  Make sure you use hollow ground bits that fit the screw.

Let me know if I can help.

jarhead94
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top