Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2002 11:44:49 AM EDT
I got bored today and decided to try to drill out my Colt's sear block. I tried a search here, but all of the links to the "hydraulic" method for removal of the blind pins were dead or too old. I have the two large blind pin style block, BTW. Also any ideas on bits that I can use to drill these out? I've tried titanium nitride coated and can't make a dent in the block or the pins.
If anyone has any other removal methods that worked for them, I'd like to hear them.
So far I'm thinking of either the hydraulic method (drill hole between the pins,fill with oil, and use a punch to pop the pins out) or possibly trying to drill and tap the pins themselves.
Anyone with experience feel free to advise or criticize.
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Why remove the block.  If you do get it out, then your left with a ugly hole, that you would need to fill and refinish the receiver.

And, if something happened to the receiver, Colt is not going to fix it due to the receiver being modified.

LEAVE THE BLOCK ALONE!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd remove my sear block too if I could do it without damaging the gun. Its a matter of principle - I just don't want it in there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm weak. Plus, I don't see the need in removing it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I read somewhere in the posts here that Kurts Kustom Firearms removes them for $50 and fills the hole(s) with black delrin. Give him a try. Then you can put in a custom/match trigger.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:00:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw a lower that someone did the same thing to and it looked pretty much like crap when they were finished. I would send it out to a pro if it were me, unless you just like to smith your own rifles.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:11:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey guys, does that hole wind up directly above the selector (safe-fire) on the ejection port side?
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#7]
i took out one of mine once because the jewel trigger site said you had to in order to put in their trigger (found out later that you don't have to but anyway here's how we did it)--i say we because my buddy has a big milling machine...chucked receiver in mill and cut it out using very light passes over it until it cut through the blind pin and i could pull it out....i can tell you one thing--that thing is made out of some hard shit-some directions i've seen for milling them out say to use a tungsten cutter...i've heard of people saying you could do it with a dremel but i don't think most dremels or bits would last that long....the pin that goes through the receiver stayed in place so the exterior appearance of the rifle is unchanged.....Dick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top