Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2002 10:45:59 AM EDT
Ok guys as most of you know im 18 and still in high school. My goal is to open up a gun store and an indoor/outdoor shooting range in my county. I need to know what kind of colledge/school classes and training ill need plus info on the forms/licenses ill need (ffl included of course)

thanks. Wolf
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#1]
first of all buy every gun book you can find, read, read, study & read some more, "colledge" ain't gonna help ya much, you need to know guns inside & out, values of used guns, legalities.., there is so much more, i closed a gun shop in Commiefornia back in 1976ad due to all the damn regulations, rules & laws, so i suggest you learn all you can about same..., then after you turn 42 & know it all it might be the right tyme to open a gun shop & range...., but by that tyme the liberals will be in charge & then you will need to learn botany & gardening !!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Two Marketing classes, one theory, one practice.
One Psych.
One Soc
One computer systems
at least one accounting (theory) and one bookeeping (doing)
at least one human resources (whatever they call it at your school)
One business law (mostly contracts)
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 5:37:44 AM EDT
[#4]
My father opened a gun store on a wim after he retired from driving truck for 40 years. He didn't know shit about it and barely made it the first couple of years. Thru experience gained by the seat of his pants, he is now doing well, and has become a gun expert. You could gain the benefit of some else's experience by going to work at a gun shop to learn the ropes. Secondly, you need to decide what type of gun shop you want to have. There are different types of gun shops, with different types of customers. In my area the best money makers have very large inventories, so that when the impulse buyers step in you have what they want. This could take several hundred thousand in inventory. Dad's shop has a lower inventory, takes trades and also pawns. Pawns are a real money maker, but you have to deal with the down and out and with people that aren't smart enough to manage their money. One thing Dad has done well is treat everyone with respect. Many gun shops get the mentality that everyone is stupid. Even if its true, treating people that way does not make for loyal customers. A college degree may not be necessary but it will also go a long way if you decide to do something else. I highly recommend that you go to college and work at a gun shop part time until you graduate. This should give you every thing you need to be successful.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#6]
To a certain extent, I must disagree with "college ain't gonna help much, you gotta know guns."

As others above have stated, running your own independent business is very tricky stuff.  You can be the greatest chef in the world and that doesn't mean you'll become a millionaire in the restaurant business.  You need to know about insurance, sales & marketing, accounting, finance, contract law, business & strategic planning, zoning ordinances, licensing requirements, OSHA & EPA restrictions, tax planning, inventory control, statistical analysis, labor & employment laws, floor display design, and physical security.  Just to name a few things off the top of my head.  Granted schooling is no substitute for real world experience, but in this case it is a good start.

That being said, people like to deal with somebody who knows what they are doing, and if you don't know your own business (in this case guns) customers will be able to tell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top