Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2002 7:27:24 AM EDT

Without going into too much detail that would expose my stupidity. I need to know if it is possible to blue a stainless steel barrel (outside) and if it will look right.

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, you've already expossed...um never mind..

Yes you can!
FYI-Before a gun is blued it is Stainless steel...  :-)
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Dammit!!! I knew that would happen.......

Hey, I just shoot & clean, shoot & clean and occasionally add a buncha goodies to my toys. Don't know doodly-squat about the manufacturing process. Obviously.......
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:41:28 AM EDT
[#3]
What are you trying to do anyway?
Are you wanting to cold blue it yourself?

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:44:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Ummm, actually guns are usually steel before they are blued, not stainless steel.  It is possible to "blue" stainless steel, but it is not typically done using a conventional blueing process.  Many manufacturer sell stainless guns that they have made black by various processes.  It is possible...
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ummm, actually guns are usually steel before they are blued, not stainless steel.  It is possible to "blue" stainless steel, but it is not typically done using a conventional blueing process.  Many manufacturer sell stainless guns that they have made black by various processes.  It is possible...

I stand corrected. For all intensive purposes "Steel" and "Stainless Steel" are similar. The difference being Stainless steel has been highly polished, and is less porous than steel, and is a type of Alloy steel as nickel and other metals are added in the process. Correct me again if I'm wrong on this but I'm was pretty sure it's true.
I had a revolver once that was originally blued but was so badly worn it actually looked shinny like stainless steel on the high spots.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#6]

I want to get a certain stainless steel match barrel for a rifle and it is not offered in blue. I was wondering what options I have to blue it myself to match a factory bolt action reciever.

Or... Would it be better to de-blue (is that a word?) the receiver and visible trigger group. If so, how would that work?

Full of questions, ain't I?  Hopefully not stupid ones.......

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#7]
blackeye,

As far as I know, there really aren't any do-it-yourself options for bluing stainless.  And certainly none that will end up matching your blued receiver.  Stainless steel can be blued using hot tanks and salts specifically designed this purpose, but doing this will definitely void any warranty from the barrel maker.

You could strip the bluing off the receiver and polish it to match the barrel, but you'd probably end up with a rusty receiver in short order.  You might look into having the receiver plated in nickel or hard chrome.  It wouldn't be an "exact" match to stainless, but it should be pretty close.

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top