Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2022 2:53:21 AM EDT
These threads got my interested and I bought some Aervoe.  I plan on painting complete rifles so blasting isnt going to happen.  What do you wipe the surface down with to degrease and prep?  What is safe to use on anodized surfaces, polymer, etc?

What would you tape off?
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:25:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I used Acetone on all of mine to wipe them down.

The paint I used was Fusion paint by Krylon.

It did not hurt a thing.

I taped the lenses on my optic, wrapped some blue paint tape around the optic controls,stuffed a rag into the magazine well, and shoved a cleaning patch into the muzzle.

I used 2 base coats of khaki on the rifle, then let it sit for a couple of days.

Next I used a light coat of dark OD green, spraying through a screen or another piece of cloth with small holes to offset the base coat, then let that sit for a couple of days.

The last paint coat was dark earth brown in a light dusting over the while thing, again let it sit for a couple of days.

The final coats were clear flat clear coat, then let it hang in a heated box for three days.

The last thing I did was take "00" steel wool and buff any shine off of it.

I've done at least 20 rifles for locals and myself in totally different paint patterns and haven't had a single complaint yet.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:27:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used Acetone on all of mine to wipe them down.

The paint I used was Fusion paint by Krylon.

It did not hurt a thing.

I taped the lenses on my optic, wrapped some blue paint tape around the optic controls,stuffed a rag into the magazine well, and shoved a cleaning patch into the muzzle.

I used 2 base coats of khaki on the rifle, then let it sit for a couple of days.

Next I used a light coat of dark OD green, spraying through a screen or another piece of cloth with small holes to offset the base coat, then let that sit for a couple of days.

The last paint coat was dark earth brown in a light dusting over the while thing, again let it sit for a couple of days.

The final coats were clear flat clear coat, then let it hang in a heated box for three days.

The last thing I did was take "00" steel wool and buff any shine off of it.

I've done at least 20 rifles for locals and myself in totally different paint patterns and haven't had a single complaint yet.
View Quote

Do you have any pics you can share?
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:32:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Not just the prep, but what you do afterwards.

I've found that it takes weeks at room temperature to cure Krylon, despite what the can says.  To speed things up, I set the stuff inside of my car to speed up the process.  That doesn't work in the winter, obviously.

Just as important-  after it has cured, lightly dust with Krylon clear "Matte Finish".  Just enough to make the surface look somewhat wet.  Too much, and it will look frosted.

The Matte Finish will greatly increase the wear resistance.  Particularly against oily, sweaty hands, and even occasional cleaning agent drippage.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:32:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I use hot water and Dawn’s and let it dry thoroughly.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:41:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I should have added that I only paint them in the summer time when the weather is hot and I can hang them in direct sunlight for an hour or so after I apply the paint.

Also, I don't post pictures of any of the firearms I paint for folks, including my own.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:Also, I don't post pictures of any of the firearms I paint for folks, including my own.
View Quote
Why not?
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Spray it down good once with carb or brake cleaner.

Wipe it down twice with alcohol and microfiber rags and let it dry after the second wipe down.

Paint it.

All I've used is the Krylon camo kit paint.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top