Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2021 9:59:37 AM EDT
First attempt at anything close to this. My stock felt dry(it has been sitting in my shed for a couple years while the barreled action was in a laminated stock)so after I sold the laminate stock/barrel combo I wanted to get this decent for my grandson.

I bought boiled linseed oil and applied/rubbed it in. It looks nice but has been tacky for weeks, even after sitting in front of a fan.

What to do next? Or did I do something wrong?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump

Working on an old shotgun for fun.  

Plan on using boiled linseed turpentine beeswax to refinish stock and forearm.  

Finish is stripped and I have begun to sand and repair the wood.   Probably gonna end up a wall hanger but I’m enjoying the process.   The shotgun is practically worthless so not much to lose.    

Op you might try wiping it down with a rag that’s damp with turpentine to cut the linseed but I’m no expert.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks r45d. It certainly can't hurt!
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
First attempt at anything close to this. My stock felt dry(it has been sitting in my shed for a couple years while the barreled action was in a laminated stock)so after I sold the laminate stock/barrel combo I wanted to get this decent for my grandson.

I bought boiled linseed oil and applied/rubbed it in. It looks nice but has been tacky for weeks, even after sitting in front of a fan.

What to do next? Or did I do something wrong?

Thanks
View Quote

Did you remove the original finish first?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did you remove the original finish first?
View Quote

That's my theory too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Uh, no. But on the plu side it seems the tackiness is gone! A week or two under the fan took care of that.

I got thinking about that but had other things I knew how to do to complete first.

Do yall think I still need to strip it it? I'll get get pics of my stock as it sits later today.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#6]
No longer tacky but has a couple rough spots: Attachment Attached File
, Attachment Attached File

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Strip and refinish.  Might be able to coerce grandson to help.   Could be a good way to have him appreciate the rifle a little more than just “that old 22”

Mark Novak/ Anvil on YouTube  has some good videos on refinishing wood stocks.  There are probably a million other videos as well.

Keep us posted op.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top