Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2021 7:22:36 PM EDT
Hey all,
I'm working on a couple projects, a HK G28 and HK416 CAG build, and seem to be running into a bit of snag trying to find a quality place to tackle the refinishing.  The couple places I've reached out to that have done these builds before seem to have stopped doing them or hard to get in touch with.  I'm sure any quality Cerakote applicator could handle the job no problem, but I would like to save myself any headaches by using someone familiar with the colors I'm trying to achieve.

Can anyone recommend an applicator that can match sort of that bronzy shade of tanodizing found on the 416 and G28 lower?  I personally would lean more towards that more metallic bronze shade.

Also, I'm trying to find a one stop shop to do the refinishing and engraving and color fill of the selector markings.  Any suggestions or I may have to go with a engraver and Cerakote applicator individually. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Most have stopped because they were one the wrong side of the double yellow lanes, and marking a lower as HK when it was Brownells or something it was not and making up serial numbers.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#2]
@ankratz did my URX 4 for my DDC build. I'm sure he could take care of your cerakote needs.

Link Posted: 10/27/2021 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I've done some of my rifles in "HK"-inspired Duracoat colors.  They seem to vary quite a bit, from the pre-production sample that was widely seen at trade shows, to the actual production runs in the wild (more of an OD-green hue).  A good reference is "The Reptile House".  So if you're going for that kind of HK tanodized look, realize that it's much darker than DDC, and actually looks OD green out in the wild.  And the lighting of available pictures leads me to believe that it looks very different in natural light as opposed to indoors.  So honestly it's hard to pin down exactly what it looks like.  But then I'd not worry about the color(s) being an exact match either.  And it is varying shades, even on the same rifle.  The uppers always seem darker than the lowers.  So whoever you have do it, direct them to your reference photos and let them know what your preference would be in terms of the variations.  Mine tend to run closer to the OD colors seen in the wild.

For engraving, I use Scott @ THSF.  He is very familiar with all the engraving that goes on in the industry.  

For the color mixes, on the lowers, I use Duracoat "WWII Olive Drab" as a base, with "Magpul FDE", Magpul "MCT", and "RAL 8,000" mixed in to taste.  On the uppers, I use either Magpul FDE or MCT as a base and add in the Olive Drab or a Woodland Green, with a smidge of RAL 8,000.  It does not take much of the green or OD to create a nice OD-green color, which contrasts slightly with a more Olive brown looking color on the lower.  

On the optics, furniture, n such I use straight Magpul FDE for a nice off-set.  The rail I will shoot more towards the upper color, but still give it a little color variation to keep things interesting.  Looks better than DDC IMHO.  The colors all combine to give you a natural camo effect.

I know you wanted Cerakote, but these colors are fairly easy to replicate in any system, so this will give your guy a starting point.  I like a flatter camo coating, but if you want the more anodized look, have him throw in a  "Bronzine" metallic in the mix.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Disregard
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#5]
BTW Duracoat has a new "Ranger Green" color that is much closer to the HK anodizing.  It's a bit darker, which you might like straight for the upper, but I mix a bit a "RAL 8000" to lighten it a bit.  This will give you a nice olive brown shade.  For a more grayed-out color, add "Magpul MCT".  For a more olive green, add the "Woodland camo green".

The slight color variations mimic the different shades of anodizing you will see between the upper, lower, and rail.  And it adds it's own camo effect as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top