Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2021 11:24:11 AM EDT
I am building some new AR-15s and would like to finally make these components that always seem to look awful on any AR, look better:
  •    Castle nuts
  •    Dust covers
  •    End plates
  •    Forward assists
   etc.

It seems that no matter what vendor they came from, these components always look nasty. I'm tired of it. So, I'm taking action.

I am thinking of using one of the following Rustoleum Engine Enamel colors (I'll test all three to see which color matches the specific AR I am building):
  •    Low Gloss Black - 248938
  •    Semi Gloss Black - 248936
  •    Black Gloss - 248932
Assuming the colors match, do you think the Rustoleum will hold up to things like torquing the castle nuts, dust covers clicking shut and opening repeatedly, etc.?

Do you guys have any better ideas, or do you think this is going to work?
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:22:47 AM EDT
[#1]
cerakote.  they do have flat black.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Refinishing/19/
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:34:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, but looking for something I can do myself out of a rattle can.  Not looking to pay someone $150 (or more) to Cerakote 20 little pieces of steel.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Duracoat or brownells Alumahyde, your current choice will not hold up.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, rattle can doesn’t hold up for shit if you’re concerned about durability and it looking nice.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Another vote for this.  Normal spray paint like Rustoleum will scratch, peel, etc.  Even the high temp stuff won't hold up.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am building some new AR-15s and would like to finally make these components that always seem to look awful on any AR, look better:
  •    Castle nuts
  •    Dust covers
  •    End plates
  •    Forward assists
   etc.

It seems that no matter what vendor they came from, these components always look nasty. I'm tired of it. So, I'm taking action.

I am thinking of using one of the following Rustoleum Engine Enamel colors (I'll test all three to see which color matches the specific AR I am building):
  •    Low Gloss Black - 248938
  •    Semi Gloss Black - 248936
  •    Black Gloss - 248932
Assuming the colors match, do you think the Rustoleum will hold up to things like torquing the castle nuts, dust covers clicking shut and opening repeatedly, etc.?

Do you guys have any better ideas, or do you think this is going to work?
View Quote

The flat black engine enamel is a near perfect match for Aero ano color.  I have used it on receivers and handguards and it is holding up well, but the parts were already black so that helps.  If it wears, shoot it again.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#8]
The finish you see is mil spec. Not sure if you want to keep the mil spec look because putting a coat of paint on it will take away from that. If you're open to non mil spec parts there are tons of "improved"  options with nitride finishes available.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The finish you see is mil spec. Not sure if you want to keep the mil spec look because putting a coat of paint on it will take away from that. If you're open to non mil spec parts there are tons of "improved"  options with nitride finishes available.
View Quote

This. Nitride will give you what you seek.

As for port door covers.....milspec is all I know but I'm sure someone offers an aesthetically pleasing version.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#11]
if you don't want to cerakote the parts in either armor black or graphite black, thee best thing you can do is just keep the parts oiled up
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#12]
engine enamel does ok for parts that never see contact with anything, are hardly ever touched, and never exposed to solvents.  such as under the handguard.

otherwise, it's as everybody else has already said, it doesn't hold up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#13]
No.

Yes.  Brownells Alumahyde, Duracoat, or maybe even Avroe.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you have an air compressor? If you do, it’s cheap to get a spray gun at Harbor Freight, and some Durabake paint and do it yourself. POR high temp paint (Amazon) is good too. The bake on finishes are very durable and easy to work with. The small parts you’re mentioning are always fun to do in a contrasting color for a build. Most important of all they really protect against corrosion.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Why not re-parkerize. I don’t think it’s too expensive to setup for small parts.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Use whatever you like with a Preval sprayer. Just make sure you prepare your parts properly.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 2:21:51 AM EDT
[#17]
If you need something durable in a rattle can, I'd go with flat-black appliance epoxy paint, caliper paint or Seymour Engine Paint.

I've used alumahyde before, and while durable, it tends to have problems spraying smoothly, even if you do everything right (its a bit unpredictable in this respect). Some cans like to spit out globs randomly while spraying even with thorough shaking, so I wouldn't trust it for anything you want to look perfectly finished.

The parts you listed are parkerized from the factory, so the finish is already a great base for paint - just degrease thoroughly before spraying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top