Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2017 8:01:17 AM EDT
Using some scrap wood and spray paint I'm going to try multiple camouflage schemes in a relatively new area of secondary forrest in Ohio. The area has chunks of concrete rubble lining a creek. I'll post pictures and would love to hear your thoughts before I paint the real thing.

Here's the control, flat black: Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:07:35 AM EDT
[#1]
OST
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#2]
This is Tamiya Light Sand TS-46 over flat black in gradients with flat black splatter. This uses the underlying black color to provide non-opaque gradients. Without the splatter this would be a quick and surprisingly effective one color camouflage. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:12:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Rustoleum Deep Forest Green opaque. The color has too much blue as you'll see in a stenciled pattern in a couple posts below. This was under overcast skies yesterday:Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Stencil pattern Rustoleum Earth Brown over Khaki with Khaki overspray: Attachment Attached File

The billboard shape greatly varies the sample appearance by the angle to sunlight:Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

This seems pretty effective and may be more so with a more yellow base and additional patches of brown.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#5]
This is where things get too much of an unnatural bluish cast. Deep Forest Green stencils and additional Earth Brown added to above with DFG overspray:
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

With different colors this pattern could be really effective. My Aervoe shipment from DSG should be here within the next 24 hours.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#6]
These are great pictures.  I am always amazed by the sheer number of camo variations and their individual effectiveness.  I have always wanted to do something like this but focus solely on patterning, as I think it is significantly more important than the colors.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I studied the terrain here in Texas and came up with my own pattern/colors. Seems to work well.

Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Great pics amd thread.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#9]
to the OP  go flecktarn or WW2 DOT

flectarn pattern works wonderful in North America and Northern Europe for fall woodlands
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
to the OP  go flecktarn or WW2 DOT

flectarn pattern works wonderful in North America and Northern Europe for fall woodlands
View Quote
I'll definitely try that soon--in Multicam colors to blend in to future Multicam gear purchases. Unfortunately I haven't found a good selection of reputable plate carries/sligns/etc. in flecktarn.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I wanted to try something disruptive last night. Khaki base with Rustoleum Chestnut Brown stripes darkened with Earth Brown. Chestnut Brown splatter. Breaks up the outline but is too conspicuous. Smaller pattern would help blend into th leaf litter but wouldn't disrupt the outline as well. Took picture right after sun up today.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Angle change:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#12]
try some optic razzle dazzle

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Added a few Nutmeg Rustoleum spots before I move on to the next pattern. Waist height, 25m. Aervoe paint has arrived. Next experiment will be Flektarn in Multicam colors. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wanted to try something disruptive last night. Khaki base with Rustoleum Chestnut Brown stripes darkened with Earth Brown. Chestnut Brown splatter. Breaks up the outline but is too conspicuous. Smaller pattern would help blend into th leaf litter but wouldn't disrupt the outline as well. Took picture right after sun up today.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/41811/IMG-6195-182499.JPG https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/41811/IMG-6192-182502.JPG
Angle change:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/41811/IMG-6193-182504.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/41811/IMG-6194-182750.JPG
View Quote
I think this 'pattern' is quite effective, although starting with a darker base instead of Khaki, something more along the lines of
Coyote or Field Drab Aervoe, would make it blend much better.

Not sure where on OH you are, but there is a distributor in Canton, JAM Industrial Supply, that stocks Aervoe. Cost is r $3.45/can (with tax), but minimums are 6 cans
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#15]
IN.  I just build a 450BM and I want to get it painted up before next fall.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top