Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2016 12:06:24 PM EDT
I was hoping some of you guys have techniques to produce a battle worn look. I'd like to have it in FDE. I did try one thing that seemed to work, but I don't think I would do it on an AR. I sprayed an AK in krylon and wiped it down in certain places with MEK. It came off to show the black underneath in high wear areas. Anybody have other ideas?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Paint it and use it? It'll have a real worn look
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I knew I'd get a few of those answers. Unless I ran around slamming it against things and throwing it around, I'll never really get a military worn look. I can go to my shooting spot and shoot a bunch. But I don't really have the opportunity to wear the finish that much.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Paint it and toss it down the driveway
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The "battle worn" look comes from just that. Being used, and being used hard. Dropped, laid down on dirt and rocks. Dropped some more. Kicked. Scraped. And then dropped a few more times. You cant really make it look worn without using it. The few ive seen painted to look that way, really look cheesy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I knew I'd get a few of those answers. Unless I ran around slamming it against things and throwing it around, I'll never really get a military worn look. I can go to my shooting spot and shoot a bunch. But I don't really have the opportunity to wear the finish that much.
View Quote

Get it the real way. You'll be happier with it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:10:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Paint it and use it? It'll have a real worn look
View Quote

Tie item to your dog's collar via some 550 cord. Play fetch with dog and let him drag it all over your yard/driveway.

But really though if you use some very fine sandpaper I think you would get what you are looking for. Paint it like you want than run the sandpaper by hand along high points and edges etc..
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#7]
watch the retro forum useley involved sand paper scochbright light glass beading and chemicals
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:56:50 AM EDT
[#8]
While everyone else is right:  paint it and use it, there is this:

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:15:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Take a course. It will get used and abused naturally. Do some run and gun drills, it will get used.

Fake wear and tear just looks...fake
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:21:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I've actually looked into a course near me, but I'm trying to find some people who have taken it. I'd like to know if it's worth the money.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:28:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've actually looked into a course near me, but I'm trying to find some people who have taken it. I'd like to know if it's worth the money.
View Quote
Ask this question of vetting your course and instructors in the training forum here. No GD answers and lots of help.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:58:19 AM EDT
[#12]
"Battle Worn Look"

Now that is funny, if you have been in battle, you really don't worry about what your gun looks like!

That said, the best way, don't prep it, paint it and then use the hell out of, let it wear where it is going to wear,  "Battle Worn" is nothing but used, so get out and use the damn thing, let it wear.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#13]
this is my darling. i rattle canned it 2 years ago and this is what it looks like about 6 months ago (its NICER now)...

i just upgraded the rail and did some barrel work when i took this pic so the rail looks a bit 'newer' then the rest. not the case anymore.

it gets used, there is nothing fake of phony about the way it looks.

sweat, mud, rain, sun block, mobil 1, rubbing against kit constantly, gloves, gsr.

that's what i call seasoning.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#14]
OP, check the retro forum.  Search for "worn" "battle" and "distressed".  Also try the same on youtube.  You'll find plenty of examples.  Some using finish wear, others using physical wear techniques. You won't get much positive input in this sub forum.  Instead of answering your question, you'll get responses telling you what they would do and how silly (or worse) they think you are for doing what YOU want with YOUR rifle.  It's yours, build with the components you want and make it look the way you want it to look.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Just Krylon it and shoot it...  a lot.  When the finish flakes off in high wear areas, krylon over it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Just use regular spray paint... no fancy bake-on finishes or high temp paint or anything.  Then get out and use the rifle.  You don't have to do anything purposely abusive like some suggested... a carbine class, some competitions, the best thing would be something like the Pawnee Run 'n Gun (which I organize): www.okrunngun.com, where you're carrying the rifle and gear over all sorts of terrain, clearing obstacles, and shooting around/through all sorts of barricades and cover, etc.  I'd say carrying the rifle slung, with it rubbing on gear, and throwing it in and out of vehicles is what produces most of the look you're looking for.

Here's an M-14 after a fresh paint job:

And after doing the Pecos Run 'n Gun (pecosrunandgun.com):

It only got better with more age and use.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the replys that were constructive! I'm going to head over to the training forum and ask about the carbine class I'm interested in. If I like what I hear, I'll probably give it a go this summer. Krylon the rifle beforehand and get some real honest wear. But in the interim I think in going to try some "fake" wear and see what I can come up with.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I was at a festival a few weeks ago. One vendor was selling Levi's that had been pre-washed, all faded out. The manufacturer had cut 6 inch strips in a column running down each thigh.  I didn't look at the price tag but I'm sure they were selling for much more than the unwashed shrink to fit type, which is the only Levi's I would buy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Man I regret starting this thread now. Didn't realize it was so polarizing. I started building FALs. Over on FAL files lots of guys do it. Same thing when I got into AKs. Thought I'd ask the AR guys for any tips they might have. Feel like I asked what the best way to slap a baby was or something! Haha. Gotta be able to laugh at yourself sometimes
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Spray paint wears off pretty easy.  I don't shoot sprayed rifle all that much and the paint is wearing off the pistol grip, bipod, and parts of the stock.  Just friction from light use wears it down, especially on plastic parts.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:53:05 PM EDT
[#22]
paint it with krylon, aervoe, or rustoleum.

DO NOT DEGREASE prior to painting. And just shoot it and not give a shit, and you'll get the results you want soon.

A helpful key is to not wipe it down. Just spray

The difference in faking your wear and just using it, is the sharp corners you get from clashing with materials etc.

You can alway tell a purposely worn gun. The wear is too "smooth"

Hell, just put the upper and lower in a bag and move it around
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

DO NOT DEGREASE prior to painting. And just shoot it and not give a shit, and you'll get the results you want soon.

The difference in faking your wear and just using it, is the sharp corners you get from clashing with materials etc.

View Quote

That is true about purposely worn guns. Think I've got a few good ideas to try out. But after hearing a lot of the replys, I'd really like to get into a carbine class, and give my rifle a krylon spray beforehand. See how it wears on its own
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:32:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That is true about purposely worn guns. Think I've got a few good ideas to try out. But after hearing a lot of the replys, I'd really like to get into a carbine class, and give my rifle a krylon spray beforehand. See how it wears on its own
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. Slinging your rifle will induce wear as well. Belt buckle, mags, and shit
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:39:30 AM EDT
[#25]
This Saturday find a deer stand and sling the gun, unloaded, and climb up and down about a 100 times. Then get a cord and let it down and pull it back up a dozen times or so. Wallah!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#26]
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1118901

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#27]
GD-type comment removed, warning sent - Eric802
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#28]

seeing way to many 'men' wearing that kinda crap, then putting their phones in their back pockets.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Paint it, shoot it, shoot it some more, shoot it a little bit more.....

Then start all over.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#30]
If you wanted to speed the "worn" process up, some sandpaper or steel wool should get the job done in no time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I sprayed mine and after a few trips to the range and bumping around the the backseat of the truck it looked like this.  So as they said just get out there and use it, and be prepared to wipe paint off your cheek for a while!

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#32]

This guy overdoes it somewhat, but you get the idea.

If you apply very thin coats of paint, you can achieve a somewhat worn appearance from the git go.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Honest wear looks best but if you have to go down that route a little sandpaper and elbow grease works wonders.

This is natural other than the handguards unfortunately.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top