Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2016 9:01:53 AM EDT
I mean the cheapest of the cheap?  How is it working?  Please spare the lectures, I am just curious if anyone is and what their experience is.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#1]
My 9.99 one worked fine, make a few test sprays to see how it is gonna cover before starting the gun coat.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had good results with the hf mini hvlp gun w cerakote. It has the .8mm tip that is recommended for cerakote. Fwiw.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Used one of the mini guns for a while. Like mentioned it comes with the .8 tip already and actually wasn't bad if you kept it clean (like any gun). Comes with a regulator already as well.

this one
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used about 5 different air brushes now for cerakote; all of them were inexpensive off eBay. They don't work very well at all with cerakote (but work well with lacquer for things like my drone).

What has worked the best so far is a cheap ($14.95) gravity feed spray gun (not an air brush).
It's still quite small compared to a full size spray gun (about 1/3 of a full size one), but it's all I use now.

Here's the secret I've found to making it work: measure out the amount of paint you'll use. Pour it through the paper filter. Calculate the amount of Part B hardener to use and add it. Pour in paint thinner by about 20% volume. Mix, and mix a lot more.

It's gives a nice smooth finish and bakes on nicely.

G.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the $20 HF airbrush not the $10 one and it works fine. Only negative is its not super fine.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm using the same brush ($20 one), but I had the opposite issue. It seemed like the spray was VERY fine and the line between 'am I actually painting?' and 'WOAH, TOO MUCH' was a matter of 1-2" of brush placement. Too far back was nothing and too close was too heavy/too concentrated.

If your spray isn't "fine" enough you might need to add a few drops of reducer. Will allow it to flow better through the brush.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I've used a Testors kit from Walmart for several jobs. It worked fine for me although if I were refinishing every day, I would get something nicer.
My only issue with the canned air kits is keeping the airflow consistent. I put the can in the direct sunlight to keep it warm and had pretty good luck. I've also heard of guys putting the can in a pot of warm water to accomplish the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought the cheapie Harbor Freight airbrush just to give it a try.  Results were okay but it took a lot of messing around to make it work.

A few months later I found a Paasche airbrush kit at my pawn shop and it is so much better.  A lot of people recommend the HVLP guns though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought the cheapie Harbor Freight airbrush just to give it a try.  Results were okay but it took a lot of messing around to make it work.

A few months later I found a Paasche airbrush kit at my pawn shop and it is so much better.  A lot of people recommend the HVLP guns though.
View Quote

The HVLP put out a lot more product than the airbrush, even the ones with the .8 tip.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:45:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Used one of the mini guns for a while. Like mentioned it comes with the .8 tip already and actually wasn't bad if you kept it clean (like any gun). Comes with a regulator already as well.

this one
View Quote

How much psi should I use?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this one

I want to say it was around 22psi at the regulator
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this one

Somewhere between 20-30, you'll have to experiment. 20 wasn't much coverage/product and seemed like it would take 40 coats, but I had flash-dry with 30 PSI at the same hold distances.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I use a cheap one from Amazon. I have cerakoted a ton of stuff. I make sure to clean it out well, I spray a bunch of Acetone through it when I'm done.
No issues at all so far. I also use a separate pressure gauge and regulator at the bottom of the gun to get a better adjustment and readings going into the gun.

http://www.amazon.com/16573-Accuspray-Flow-Control-Valve/dp/B0054S5LKM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

This is the gun I bought, but it was cheaper when I picked it up in 2013.

http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Force-HVLP-Touch-Up-Spray/dp/B000EX0EYU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top