Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2016 11:51:29 PM EDT
i've painted a number of rifles with the Krylon camouflage series of paints, and have always been very pleased. i found a rustoleum "nutmeg"-colored paint that i really like (and purchased) but didn't realize until trying it out on a mag that it's got a satin finish. will spraying it with a matte clear coat help dull the sheen? or is matte clear coat just for protecting matte paints? i've really only read about people using it to "seal" or "protect" their paint job, whatever that means.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The clear matte I've used in the past is more semi shiny, like satin is in colored spray paints.  I've not used matte clear in years for this reason.  In the past if i needed a certain color but could not get it in flat I would spray in first and scuff sand it after drying, then spray my other colors.  You'll be the only one to know it's not a factory flat paint  unless someone gets up to with in a couple feet of the paint job.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Matte clear has always seemed to add gloss, in my experience.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Hit your glossy areas with some steel wool.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the suggestions. i got two kinds of matte clear coat, and it didn't really do anything at all. gonna give the steel wool/sandpaper a shot.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had good luck with Testors model flat clear coat in the rattle can. It's a true matte finish and so far it's been surprisingly durable.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Clear coat is nice to use on finishes that are kind of rough or textured (like cerakote can be at times depending on how it's applied).
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the flat clear by valspar. Sometimes depending on how I spray it, it will look a little weird. If that happens I just give it a couple wipes with a scotch brite.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The clear matte I've used in the past is more semi shiny, like satin is in colored spray paints.  I've not used matte clear in years for this reason.  In the past if i needed a certain color but could not get it in flat I would spray in first and scuff sand it after drying, then spray my other colors.  You'll be the only one to know it's not a factory flat paint  unless someone gets up to with in a couple feet of the paint job.
View Quote

This mirrors my experience. I recently painted my shotgun using the sponge method stickied here. I used some paints with both flat and satin finishes and then used a matte clearcoat (all Rustoleum products). While the matte finish did not come out as flat as I would've liked, it did help to even out the reflectivity of the different paint finishes and gave the gun more of a "factory" look. I'm happy with the results.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought it was pretty much mandatory to spray flat clear coat over Hydrodip finishes.

Otherwise they wear quickly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top