Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2014 8:09:27 AM EDT
I've had my gray PMR (I've read KT's are cerakoted) for about a month, I don't carry it, drop it or abuse it. It does ride with me in my truck sometimes around the farm, either on the seat beside me or in a case, and a few times I carry it in the woods in my pocket. Already some of the corners are wearing through. If it's truly Cerakote and applied right I am not impressed. Is this normal?

I would like to get some others done in Cerakote, but not if it wears this easy.

It was hard to get pictures with my phone, this is the only one that came out good, there are a couple other spots, it's not peeling or flaking off just wearing through it

Amazing gun by the way, LOVE this thing, incredibly light and easy to hit with. It's been reliable so far

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone? Is this an Air dry vs Oven cure problem? Or just applied/mixed wrong?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Just like any paint, the corners always seem to go first. It's thinnest there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just like any paint, the corners always seem to go first. It's thinnest there.
View Quote
True, I guess I just expected more from Cerakote with all the hype around it, this gun was spotless when I got it, and I haven't done enough to wear through a good coating IMO. It also wore very fast in the magwell and behind the safety, not a deal breaker for me on this gun, but if I am going to get something else coated it better not wear this fast.

But I have 0 experience with gun coatings, this is my first coated gun, (well I guess my 10/22 receiver is painted black, but it isn't a wear item)

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't give up on cerakote. It's tough as nails but not impervious. On top of that, these are tools, use them. Scrapes, dings, and dents give them character (unless you are planning to resell it).
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Nothing is bullet proof. Tennifer, Ano, Park, etc, all show such wear.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Luckily Kel Tec sells the frame halves and slide cover really cheap, I think it was like $50 or so to change everything out to natural black, so that's my plan when it gets bad, but if this is all the better Cerakote will do I'm not impressed, this has literally wore off almost like good spray paint

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#7]
well I should probably back up a little, I'm sure this is air dry Cerakote and baking anything would increase the durability for sure. Someday I'll probably try some bake on Cerakote, but whatever this is it is not worth putting on if a month of careful occasional use has it wearing off.

And I hear you guys on the "it's a tool, just use it". I do use them and enjoy them, but I have been able to do so for years without beating them up, sure I bump them on truck cabs and doorways but I don't go out and throw and drop them. Part of my enjoyment in this is having a nice looking, well cared for collection. Stuff happens but I try to keep them nice. I haven't scratched any parkerizing, anodizing, or tennifer, I love those just because with my use they are basically indestructible. Now my carry guns will be a different story I'm sure..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top