Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2014 7:14:29 PM EDT
I had a pistol slide done about three months ago.  I mainly had it done as a protective finish.  The gun was not carried for about a month and a half/two months but since august 1st has been carried exclusively.

The cerakote is showing marks way more than where it occurred prior to the finish. Wear is on left side of glock on the top of G/the corner where it meets, and by the front sight.  Wear is also on right side of the gun and goes down length of the slide.

Its not a big deal to me, I paint my ARs and love the worn look.  I'm just wondering if this is 'normal' to see use this fast or if the finish wasn't applied correctly/etc.

ETA: pics up finally. hard to tell because of light glare but edited some pics to try to show it better
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Hard to say if it is normal or not without knowing more.
Sometimes slides can see wear in certain holsters after going though a training class, depending on the number of draws and the environment.
3 months does sound immature for normal EDC.
Any pictures?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:38:58 AM EDT
[#2]
They didn't use clear then. Cerakote has a new oven cure clear called armor clear. Much better!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They didn't use clear then. Cerakote has a new oven cure clear called armor clear. Much better!
View Quote

Really not tracking you here.
Why would he need a clear over standard Cerakote?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Cerakote is the finish but you can also clear over it to add more protection. I use Cerakote's new Armor Clear. Two part, oven cured matte clear. Just helps protect even more.
It could have also not bee prepped correctly or even sprayed too lightly.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I am aware of the product, I use it with my hydrographics process.
Don't know too many people who clear over plain old Cerakote every time though.

If you do, God bless you.

But I can imagine the crap I would get from my customers if I tried to feed them some BS about now their Cerakote finish, the same one that has been touted for years as being the ultimate finish and doesn't need a top coat, now needs to be clear coated because of this new wiz bang clear that Cerakote has come out with.

Sometimes a gun is still a gun, and it won't matter if you put 3mils DFT of clear on it, it is going to wear.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#6]
sorry for replying so late. started a new job first of sept and have been really busy. here are some pics. its hard to see because of the pattern. most wear is on the right side of the slide but hard to see with glare so i included some edited and unedited pictures to try and show it.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#7]
That area showing through on the right side, is that the factory Tenifer coating or bare steel?
If it's the factory coating, then there's your problem, they didn't blast down to bare metal before coating.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:00:56 AM EDT
[#8]
This was definitely blasted to bare  metal. I did the cerakote work and I am redoing it free of charge!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
as sharp of an edge that is, in and out of a holster twice a day could easily wear that off

what kind of material for holster?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#10]
The base coat was still cerakote. When I do patterns I lay my base coat and cure, then lay the top layers thinner. Too much build up and it looks horrible. I have the slide back in my hands and intend on respraying and making it right!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The base coat was still cerakote. When I do patterns I lay my base coat and cure, then lay the top layers thinner. Too much build up and it looks horrible. I have the slide back in my hands and intend on respraying and making it right!
View Quote

Now that's customer service!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#12]
That's all that matters!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top