Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2014 10:58:13 AM EDT
For all you home cerakoter's, how and what are you using to degrease.  Cerakote says to soak and not just spray, so I am wondering what I need to get.  I don't want to spend a few hundred on those facy soaking trays, and I figure there has to be Home Depot alternative or soemthing.

Open to suggestions and reccommendations.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a few 5 gallon buckets with screw on tops filled with methanol (racing fuel).  This has worked for me on a few dozen guns and the methanol doesn't evaporate when the top is screwed on for storage.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a large container that I have filled with Acetone. I pick it up at Home Depot or Lowes, whichever has it cheaper when I need it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a large container that I have filled with Acetone. I pick it up at Home Depot or Lowes, whichever has it cheaper when I need it.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Just did my first Cerakote gun today, I used a 5 gallon bucket with acetone. Worked perfectly and the stuff was nice and clean.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I use 'Brakleen'; Pep Boy sells it in gallon jugs. Pricey, though, at $26-$28 per gallon.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Brake parts cleaner, throw the parts in the oven for a bit. If any oil seeps out, clean it some more. I use the spray cans, always keep four or five cans around. Use the 7mil nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight to keep your finger prints off.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Brake parts cleaner, throw the parts in the oven for a bit. If any oil seeps out, clean it some more. I use the spray cans, always keep four or five cans around. Use the 7mil nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight to keep your finger prints off.
View Quote

+1 on the oven. Brakleen or acetone
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top