Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2013 12:27:33 PM EDT
Hey guys. This is my first time trying to refinish a gun and was looking at some pointers. I have a winchester model 190 that will be my project gun. I want to take the stock and forend off and sand them down and refinish them. Im looking to achieve a dark satin walnut finish. I have been looking online and at videos on midway and am a little confused on the process of how achieve this. I think I need to strip the original stock, sand it down with ascending grits of sandpaper. From then I think I need to apply tru-oil? This is where I get confused. Is the tru oil for filling the pores in the wood? Can I mix stain with this to achieve a richer walnut color? From there do I wet sand with ascending grits of sandpaper? I guess im just real confused on the steps and which order I need to be going in and thats what I need help on. The Stock on the Winchester 190 is lighter (maybe a little more blonde you could say) than I would like. Please as you can probably see im a little lost and need some help. All advice is welcome.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:47:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Go check out the Minwax website for lots of info.  Yes, you need to remove the wood and sand it.  Unless you're trying to get out real deep scratches #220 grit or so should do what's needed.  Go slow, go in the direction of the grain, and you should be fine.  You need to stain before sealing the wood.  You can mix stains of the same type, oil or water, you'll just have to mix enought for the entire project and make sure to test for color.  Tru-Oil is a oil base finish, not a sanding sealer.  Try to stay with either oil based or water based products.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Here is a site that has a wealth of info on stock refinishing.  It deals with military stocks, but the principles are the same for any stock.

Check out "The victims of Candyman, before and after pic's" in the stickies.

http://surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=83&sid=3aba2640760368803a53909039c378a5

As for color, I've used wood dye from one of those wood working stores.

Happy reading, there is a ton of info on the link.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, Tru Oil is the last step when you're sealing it up.  
Its neat stuff, too.  If you put on one or two coats it stays somewhat flat, if you put on more it turns glossy.  I like to use OOO steel wool in between coats as this smooths it out even more and leaves a nice surface for the next coat.  If you do this make sure you dust it real good-get all those little metal hairs off it.  I use a vac sometimes to really suck it clean.
Keep in mind that Tru Oil HATES dust!  try to keep everything as clean as possible and use a lint free rag.

One small word of encouragement, this is your first attempt?  Don't worry too much if it comes out less than spectacular-you can do it over sometime later.  I did a few stocks before i got the steps down right.  I buy junker guns just for a project. Its a learning process and you'll get better with time.  Welcome to the dark side.

ETA: I am by no means an expert but i know some stuff.  If you want to PM me with questions i will try to answer as best i can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top