Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2013 10:08:31 AM EDT
My questions is why has this forum never been populated much by traditional wood finishing, hot bluing, anodizing, case coloring, etc?  I understand this sight is AR15 dominated (it is ar15.com afterall), but just became curious and looked through a bit and havent found much, if any, of the traditional finishing methods.  Has anyone ever polished and hot blued an AR, or is it not possible with much of the system being aluminum?  

Just curious, no bashing needed.  Just havent seen much and inquisitive as to why
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My questions is why has this forum never been populated much by traditional wood finishing, hot bluing, anodizing, case coloring, etc?

Just curious, no bashing needed.  Just havent seen much and inquisitive as to why
View Quote

Not bashing you, but obviously not any interest by anyone is the reason. The only ones I have seen are the Turnbull  mfg, which in my opinion, has to be the gawd awfullest AR that  I have ever laid eyes on. AND it costs an arm and a leg!
http://turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=37491
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#2]
This forum is more of a 'spray it, or don't say it'.  Notice all the above Tacked threads?
A rare question will come up on wood for a M1, or how to hot blue with home brew but again, it's rare.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:32:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My questions is why has this forum never been populated much by traditional wood finishing, hot bluing, anodizing, case coloring, etc?  I understand this sight is AR15 dominated (it is ar15.com afterall), but just became curious and looked through a bit and havent found much, if any, of the traditional finishing methods.  Has anyone ever polished and hot blued an AR, or is it not possible with much of the system being aluminum?  

View Quote

You answered your own question.
Since AR's are aluminum, they can't be finished with traditional techniques.
Pretty sure if you tried to blue an aluminum receiver set, it would completely dissolve it. It's a chemical reaction, not a coating. Same with anodizing, you can't anodize ferrous materials in the traditional sense.
Different substrates require different processes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:42:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not bashing you, but obviously not any interest by anyone is the reason. The only ones I have seen are the Turnbull  mfg, which in my opinion, has to be the gawd awfullest AR that  I have ever laid eyes on. AND it costs an arm and a leg!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My questions is why has this forum never been populated much by traditional wood finishing, hot bluing, anodizing, case coloring, etc?

Damn that is one ugly AR.

Wood and bluing belong on old hunting rifles and revolvers imo.

By looking at the AR in this Link it seems the bluing process ruins the AR and is probably why not much people are doing it.

If some one built in AR using steel and then blued it and added some wood parts that don't make it look like an AK then I would have a different opinion. If that even possible?

ETA: Not bashing either.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:52:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

By looking at the AR in this Link it seems the bluing process ruins the AR and is probably why not much people are doing it.

If some one built in AR using steel and then blued it and added some wood parts that don't make it look like an AK then I would have a different opinion. If that even possible?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is what they did.
The upper and lower are made from 8620 carbon steel that has been color case hardened with the Turnbull bone charcoal process

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top