Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2012 12:22:36 PM EDT
Did my first camo job on my AR. Thought it came out ok for my first time. Used brake cleaner, rustoleum camo tan, OD and a little brown with passes from a heat gun in between all coats. Finished it all off with krylon matte clear coat which gave it a nice dull sheen without being too shiny and brought the colors out a little more I think. AR is a 1/7 twist adco barreled, carbine gassed, CMMG lowered, Magpul accessorized frankengun that I've been adding an taking away parts from since 2008, but it shoots like a beast!
Let me know what you think.

Here's what my AR started life as.

Then morphed into this...

Then this..

Tan...

Add grass...

Before clearcoat

All done...

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks really good. What colors/type of paint did you use?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]
-10000000 for wearing crocs.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
-10000000 for wearing crocs.

Typical delta bravo response...didn't notice the hog blood on the floor next to blue crocs hah? Those are the shoes I wear to clean kills because the blood comes off easily and my dogs dont eat my shoes if they dont have blood on them. Learned that from my days in the operating room...blood comes offa crocs easily. Thanks for the reply though dude.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Used all rustoelum camo colors...for some reason i Couldnt find krylon camo in my area. Tan base coat, then green over the grass followed by a little brown.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Used all rustoelum camo colors...for some reason i Couldnt find krylon camo in my area. Tan base coat, then green over the grass followed by a little brown.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Good job. Needs grains of deep brown
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Fucking outstanding sir. Half the battle is working up the nerve to do it and you did it very well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice job.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Rustoleum is weak, it's going to come off with the smallest bumps. Krylon is probably twice as durable. A clear matte will help. The job itself looks good though. I went from the first step you just took to a firearms coating business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top