Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2011 9:31:11 PM EDT
Anyone have a site or step by step instructions wih vid or pics explaining how to do this. The woodland camp would be awesome to do on my ar
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#1]
boil water, add salt, add dye, then soak the object to be dyed. let hang dry. use the stuff all the time to dye Lanyards for our young boatswain's mates.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Dye an AR?
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:51:23 AM EDT
[#3]
My method is different with liquid RIT dye.

Get big stainless pot.
Fill enough to completely submerge part. (with water)
Bring to boil then reduce to 5-6 medium heat.
Add about 1/3 of the bottle.
Hang part with clothes hangar or wire and dip for 10-20 seconds. Dip again to get darker shade.
Rinse off with running hot water.
Dry off with paper towel or drip dry.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:02:29 AM EDT
[#4]
What material are you guys dyeing?
Pics?

I have used it for wood stain but never used water.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#5]
the polymer furniture, from a light color (tan/FDE works best) to a darker color/camo). No need to use salt though.

My wife's AR

Robert
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#6]
As for "step by step" directions, I did a Google search found too much information and jumped in. You'll need: a pot big enough to hold the part(s) in question, tap water, dye, electrical tape to keep dye from dying portions of the part you're not looking to dye (the tan in your camo pattern?), tongs to fish out the parts from the water, and paper towels to avoid dying the counter. A note to your wives, the dye will not hurt the pan or ceramic tile. It probably will stain a stone or synthetic counter top, an will stain grout.

Basic directions:

1. Wash the parts in hot hater (use soap if you want). Rinse well. If you are going to a pattern, dry the parts and mask off your pattern. Remember to go light to dark. You can make the part darker, but you cannot lighten it. It's a one-way process.

2. Put water in a pot (I used a 3qt pot). Add dye until it looks a hair darker than you think will work. Heat the water. The first time I used a thermometer and brought the water to 170º F, the second time I brought it to a boil and backed off a bit on the heat.

3. Dip the parts in the dye mix. I tied mason's line to the first batch and used a wooden spoon to suspend them in the mix. Dyed a wooden spoon purple in the process. The second time I used tongs to grab the part (Magpul MOE stock and trigger-guard). Your choice as to how to get them in and out, wire would work too.

4. How long in the bath? Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. The first batch was in for a minute or so when I asked my wife if it looked right to her. The ended up in for another minute. The second batch I dipped 10-20 seconds until I thought they matched the first batch parts.

5. Rinse with cold water (to stop the process) and dry the parts.

I don't have anything to dye currently, or I'd take pics of the whole process in a step by step manner. I just followed others, using them, as a guide, though not necessarily as "the way" to do it. I'll be the first to tell you mine isn't "the way" just "A" way to do this. There are tons of tutorials out there, toutube videos too.

Some pics.
The parts before...

a better color representation, Magpul FDE...

the parts after (accurate color). Of note, the follower did not take color. I had it in the bath for over 10 minutes.

In this pic is by Spikes before BAR rail and my feeble attempt at camo. The colors aren't quite right though, but close enough. Really just a test on a spare magazine.

Hope that helps.

Robert

Link Posted: 12/25/2011 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#7]
So RIT dying a black magpul part to OD green would be a no go? Ever tried it? 20LR are only made in black.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So RIT dying a black magpul part to OD green would be a no go? Ever tried it? 20LR are only made in black.

Unfortunately, you can only go darker. Dying a black magazine will only make it blacker.

EDIT: Here's mine

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top