Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2011 3:08:43 PM EDT
Hey ARFCOM,

I just finished up a RIT dye project on some Magpul MOE furniture and absolutely love the way it came out! Very cheap and easy also.

I will post pics as soon as photobucket is done with maintenance.

QUESTION: I know it is impossible to turn black plastic into a different color and I have tried just to make sure and it does not work. But is there a way to remove the black and then dye to the desired color?

I dont want to spray paint the item white then dye that and the RIT does not stick to Duracoat very well...

I desperately want to start dying black Pmags and the frame on my Sig Mosquito...

Thanks for any advice on dying black stuff and feel free to post your RIT dye jobs!

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Well with RIT the scheme is going light to dark... don't think it will work the other way around.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Update for pic?
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Well photobucket is still not working but here is the Rit dyed FDE furniture.

It was a combo of orange and dark brown soaked at just below boiling for 25 seconds. The Eotech is just about the same shade as the magpul FDE.

Not even close to as cool as some of MTGuns work!

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/2448/ritdye083.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I do recall seeing someone post where they had rit dye magpul FDE to dark, turned out to a dark chocolate brown.... then soaked the furniture in Clorox Bleach to lighten it up.  It worked and the results were nice.  In the end not sure what if any affects Bleach has on it, but may be an option for something you have rit dye black and want to lighten.  Just a thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top