Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2011 4:55:13 AM EDT
Does anyone spray a clear coat over Krylon Fusion? If so, which clear coat was used? I see Krylon has a flat non-yellowing clear. It doesn't say on the can whether or not it's compatible with their Fusion paints. Also, did it make much of a difference? Did it keep the Fusion from wearing off? I know part of the charm of Krylon is the eventual "dragged through the rocks " look, but the rifle I painted looks pretty good right now. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:09:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I used the supposed "matte" clear from krylon over the flat camo from Krylon and it put a little shine on it.  It is not a lot but it is noticeable.

Not sure if the pics will help but the barrel is Duracoat Tactical FDE with no clear coat.  The stock and scope are krylon camo with the matte clear coat.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice job, bjwar10. Little bit of sheen, but not bad. Do you think it does much to prevent scratching during typical range use? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#3]
The Remington above was just painted so I can't say how the clear coat will protect the krylon.  The clear coat is bound to help but even the Norrell's and Duracoat I've used will show signs of wear after some use.  If you touched up the clear coat every few months you might stand a chance at saving your krylon finish.  

Not to turn this into a pic fest but here is my AR10 that has been painted for about 5 years.  The base coat is Norrell's but the camo is krylon.  It was never clear coated and you can see the wear on the high spots and frequently handled areas.  The cheekweld area on the stock is very noticeable as well as the turrets on the scope and scope covers.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:30:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I second krylon Matte . Make sure you get the one labelled MATTE clear ,not flat clear. two totally different products. The matte is more durable
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#5]
The matte clear does ad a slight sheen but i think it gives a better look over all, plus protection.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, all. Does Krylon make a matte clear? All I can find locally is gloss, satin, and flat.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks, all. Does Krylon make a matte clear? All I can find locally is gloss, satin, and flat.

My can actually says "Matte Finish".  The color bar code says matte and the # code is 1311.  It came from Wal-Mart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top