Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2010 4:02:05 PM EDT
Going to have to paint or whatever, my A2 stock as there appears to be no FDE option for that stock config.  Which medium is going to
provide the best adhesion and scuff and mar resistance for this refinishing project.   I'll be leaving the buttplate alone and just doing the
stock itself.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Duracoat makes FDE to match a number of different manufactures. Magpul and Vltor are the only two I remember but I know there are more.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#3]
DuraCoat will match the color better most of the time. Plenty of DC haters here but it has its applications. Also, DuraCoat reducer will melt a thin layer of most plastics and will bond to that top layer. You can add a little retarder to allow the coating more time to bond before flashing off.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Im pretty sure Duracoat also makes its own adhesion promoter for use with plastics/composites. Spray the adhesion promoter, then your selected color of FDE and your good to go
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Alumahyde II from Brownells.  I've done a bunch of retro A1 furniture with it, and it has proven very resistant to cleaning chemicals, oils and abrasion.
One caveat; let it cure for a week before actually handling or assembling the parts.  It will feel dry sooner than that, but wait.
No drama to applying it.
BTW, I also used it on a Cav Arms buttstock, and it worked there as well.
Moon
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]

The stock and handguards were done with Brownell's Alumahyde II in Coyote, then baked for 5 hours at 200*.  The finish has held up very well.  The slight color variation is mostly attributable to surface texture.  The grip is a Tango Down in FDE and the sight is a Magpul MBUS, also in FDE.
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Im pretty sure Duracoat also makes its own adhesion promoter for use with plastics/composites. Spray the adhesion promoter, then your selected color of FDE and your good to go

bulldog adhesion promoter available at most auto stores is excellent for using on plastics.
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top