Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2010 7:52:09 AM EDT
Ok. I 'm going to try and describe whats happening to me the best I can. Please bear with me.

The past few guns I have duracoated the finish in some spots or small parts have a shark skin feel to them. Almost like a 600 grit sandpaper. On most pieces once duracoated you can run your finger nail over the surface and it wont mar, but on the pieces I'm describing anything that touches it mars the surface and you can see where your finger nail ran over the paint.

Please somebody must have had this happen before. Thanks, Henry
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#1]
How far from the surface did you hold the spray gun? Sometimes if you hold it too far away the paint drops can dry in the air and make that rough sand paper feeling. Same thing can happing with Krylon.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
About 6-8 inches
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#3]
if your too far away its gonna dry before it sits on the gun. i think thats whats making it spotty and rough. duracoat wants you to spray so that its a wet shiny layer going on. id say try to stay closer on your next gun and see if it makes a difference. if you want a texture then just make your last coat by dropping the pressure on the gun so you get spitty  spots which can be a cool affect.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#4]
you either have too much air flow (pressure) or not enough paint flow, or both.  Try turning down the pressure and see how that works
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
For the record, Lauer says to hold the spray gun 2-3 inches away. They use a very high dollar spray gun setup. It does have to go on wet or it will look and feel like you have described. It simply dried before hitting the surface. You can PM me if you need any other help. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. Great advise. I will try all.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the same problem when I first started out.. You are getting dry-spray for whatever reason. Get in touch with lauer and order some retardant and reducer. The retardant should reduce the dry-spray and the reducer should add a little time before drying until the duracoat hits the part. Hope this help.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Would the paint mixture being too thick cause that? Try using reducer?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top