Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2010 9:59:07 AM EDT
when during coating your rifle does duracoating flake or chip off easy? I just did a furacoat job with my friend last weekend it came out pretty good, and looks great but it seems it appears to have flaked off in a small area after reinstalling the parts into the lower. I believe I did it when I reinstalling the pins into the lower. I dont recall how much hardener or reduser we used. My friend told me he has done it in the past. So I went by what he said. The AR looks sharp as hell dont get me wrong. I was just curious to the combo of hardener, reduser, and duracoat mix, and also if it chips or flakes. WE sprayed on 3 coats of duracoat last weekend.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#1]
It shouldn't flake off.  I would guess that the parts weren't properly degreased.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#2]
ok well its not flaking off it chipped when I was reinstalling the pins on the bolt release. So that made me think we didnt mix the hardening reducer and duracoating enough. Also I used tape around areas I was reinstalling the pins. I believe it was degreased correctly, but this was my 1st duracoating job, and it was my friends 1st duracoating on a ar. He usually duracoats shotguns for hunters. Either way I think it came out extremely well. I was just unsure to the correct combo of hardening, reducer, and duracoating.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Here are some pics of the Magpul FDE duracoated upper and lower.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top