Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2009 9:23:21 PM EDT
I bought a dirt cheep Mossberg 500 awhile ago, it was is pretty good condition but as with every single shotgun I've found the LOP was just a bit too much for me especially to square up to a target with.  So I decided to shop the buttstock to a shorter LOP.  The finish had seen better days and to boot there were some ugly ass duck scenes on the side.  Since my plan was to turn it into a tactical shotgun the ducks just had to go.  Duracoat was calling my name.  I shot the duracoat today and it turned out very well if I don't say so myself.  

My question what to do with the wood stocks?  I want to keep them wood as I don't want to spend anymore than I have to on this project but I'm not digging the slickness of the wood.  There is the normal knurling on the sides but even that is slick.  I thought about some sort of grip tape (not harshly abrasive) but I don't want it to look ghetto either.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:01:56 AM EDT
[#1]
So you want both cheap and tactical?

You could buy a can of Dupli-color spray on truck bed liner.  I stripped the finish off of an extremely abused Mosin Nagant, and used this approach.  It is very matte black, (or tactical black, if you prefer).  It is also rough, so slickness is not a problem.

I have considered Duracoating the cheek side, just to reduce the roughness.  Either that, or a little sandpaper work.  Its tolerable as is, but it is indeed a little rough.

That is the only approach that is both cheap and tactical that I can think of.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I should have put "tactical" in quotes.  hahahah  The only "tactical" thing about it is a side saddle, rail for light/light and sling attachment points.  I'm calling it practical.

Thanks for the idea.  I'll look into that.  I'd only want it on the grip areas.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I think a better approach is a very good wood glue (not some cheap crap but industrial) with saw dust.  What you do is mask of the area that you want "gritty".

Then you use some wood glue with saw dust mixed in. Wear a latex glove and "pat" the glue around.  You'll get a nice finish like on the Macmillan stocks.  You can hit it with a light sanding to knock down sharp edges.

Then you paint/duracoat over it.

If done right it's extremely effective.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think a better approach is a very good wood glue (not some cheap crap but industrial) with saw dust.  What you do is mask of the area that you want "gritty".

Then you use some wood glue with saw dust mixed in. Wear a latex glove and "pat" the glue around.  You'll get a nice finish like on the Macmillan stocks.  You can hit it with a light sanding to knock down sharp edges.

Then you paint/duracoat over it.

If done right it's extremely effective.

I have mixed sand into Duracoat to get a "grippy" surface for customers guns . This is a good idea as well.  Regular five minute epoxcy glue will works for glue in case don't have wood glue. (Gorilla Glue is great stuff)

CEW
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top