Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2009 5:19:39 PM EDT
i'm putting together my first lower and its not going well...i already have some small gouges that i'll need to touch up when i'm done, whats the best paint to use?  i know i need matte black but is there a certain type/brand i should use?
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Use masking tape to avoid f-ups. Aluminum black should work just fine for you.

Link Posted: 7/15/2009 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The best touch up I have found is the Birchwood Casey touch up pen (not the bottle of aluminum black, which is worthless in my experience). Ultimately, though, any touch up finish will wear off relatively quickly. Your best bet, if the scratch bothers you that much, would be one of the many excellent spray-and-bake finishes, such as KG Gunkote.
Link Posted: 7/16/2009 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Birchwood-Casey ALuminum Black works well.  Degrease the area with rubbing alcohol and apply the chemical with a clean q-tip.  

If you want to actually refinish it, disassemble it, hang it from a stainless steel wire, soak it in acetone to degrease it, then use a thin coating like Gun Kote.  Brownell's sells it in liquid (for airbrushes) and aerosol (rattle can).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top