Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 3:13:11 PM EDT
Well i went out in my step moms barn and removed some old doors and there say a model 94 win rusted pretty bad I would say about 50% blue - 50% rust.  I took the thing and de greased and removed the blue and sanded my little heart out. I got all of the rust out. However there is light-medium pitting on the receiver. I went ahead and did some test re-blue to see how it would hold. The barrel looks like new. however the receiver would not take the blue well. i know this is a trait of the win 94 models.

So I am looking into the brownells stuff. I would really like a finish that is pretty heavy and would fill in these small pits? I think a glossy finish would look better on the 94 than matte. It appears that the reciever use to have a very glossy look before the rust took over.

Anyone tackled this situation before? Any tips?

And would you recommend the spray and bake brownell's and if so which product?

thanks,

Jeremy
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Flat Black GunKote

this old Sears Ted Williams model was a ranch gun in Wyoming for 30 years.  To say it was 50% rust and 50% bluing would be a severe understatement (about the rust)

$30 for the Ramline furniture––found at a gun show.

20 minutes with the sand blaster

$30 for the paint

15 minutes to spray and 2 hrs to bake

I think it came out looking great, and it'll never rust again.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Paint doesn't hide defects, it shows them off quite well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Paint doesn't hide defects, it shows them off quite well.

Most of the time, this is true.  However, I was able to paint a pitted S&W revolver, and hide the majority of the pits from view.  It will win no beauty contests, but it is a 1000% improvment over what it did look like.

Paint is definitely my favorite way of rehabilitating abused firearms.  I am sure there are other ways, but paint is the easiest to use.

I like the look of the old lever-guns done up tactical black style.  A tip.  If the wood furniture is in decent shape, or can be sanded to put it in decent shape, Duplicolor black spray on truck bed liner will make it look like some kind of black synthetic.  Its texture will be very aggressive, however.  I have an old sportsterized Mosin Nagant that I used the truck bed liner on, and it came out quite nicely.  The liner covers up where they patched the slots for the dog collar sling loops, and you can no longer see the dowel they used to plug the cleaning rod hole in the fore-end.  

No original military condition Mosin-Nagants were harmed in the stock painting incident.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top