Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2009 9:01:06 AM EDT
I'm considering camo'ing up my Bushy, and am wondering what paint I should be looking into.  As with anything "tactical," I'd like it to be a durable and non-glare finish.

Are there brands made specifically for this task?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Anything that comes in spray can form?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of the durable coatings don't come in spray cans.  The better ones are usually a two part epoxy type product which requires mixing and using a HVLP sorta application method.  

However, most of your regular spray options usually are much easier to remove if you should change your mind on the color down the road...or as your area of operations dictates.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Regular spray can coatings can't stand up to the oils, chemical residue of the powder and heat from most firearms, they start to wear off quick.    Of course you wouldn't be the first to use spray can Krylon on their firearm, and there probably isn't a problem doing that, as long as you understand it might look like crap in a couple of years and you may be stripping it.

The coats that do stand up, are chemically reactive, either 2 part mix, like epoxy or activated with heat from baking in an oven.  They aren't so much paint as they are a colored resin coating.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Krylon.

Your color choices are pretty much endless.  I use a flat clear when I'm done and it cuts down on the glare and protects it pretty well.  So far my paint job has lasted 2 years and a couple of thousand rounds with the only noticeable wear being on the pistol grip.

Here's a couple of Krylon jobs I've done to my rifle in the past.

For coyote hunting in winter...

And this is what's on there right now.  I'm actually painting the scope, mount, and bipod to match right now, waiting for the base coat to dry.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Aluma-Hyde II is an epoxy-based paint similar to Duracoat.

GunKote is another gun paint that is highly durable and solvent-resistant.  It must be baked on.

Both are available from Brownells in rattle cans and are quite durable.  For perspective, Duracoat can be removed with epoxy remover.  Gun Kote's manufacturer recommends removal by abrasive blasting only.  Epoxy remover won't touch it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top