Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2009 9:47:00 AM EDT
I have 3 magazines I want to paint with Duracoat, all are aluminum.

2 (Colt and Bushmaster) have the Gray flat coat to them, it looks like primer and a perfect surface to just spray paint on.  BUT, I've read that its actually a dry lubricant film applied to the magazine, inside and out.  Will paint adhere to this coating?  

Do I need to remove the gray coating completely OR rough it up with blasting/sanding OR can I just spray right on it?

The 3rd Magazine has the black glossy coat (C-Products) it appears almost like a light anodizing layer, but I've read C-Products does a Teflon Coat to their magazines.  I'm going to blast with 120grit Aluminum Oxide, like recommended on the Duracoat sites.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:32:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I use Perma slick-G for my mags and I never hade a problem, I also used the stuff on my M1A mags, and since the M1A mags are steel, they don't rust using this stuff, even after using them numerous times in and out of the weapon, you can see the wear marks and no signs of rust.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking duracoat to match the colors on my AR.  NOT sure if I'm going to do it or NOT.

Have you ever painted over the Perma Slik-G, thats my question will duracoat adhere to dry lube film?  I'm going to guess NOT, but the surface of the USGI Gray Mags sure seems like it would, even though its suppose to be LUBE.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the same doubts you did when using Krylon on a mag.

I used some steel wool and brake cleaner to remove the dry-lube coating.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top