Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2008 12:15:39 PM EDT
Okay, so i get most of the basics. Break the weapon down fully, plug the chamber hole with cotton, plug the muzzle hole with like material. correct? what are you guys using to degrease your weapons?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I learned this from another member here - ear plugs work great for the muzzle.  

I've used non-chlorinated Brake Cleaner but had better results w/ Gun Scrubber.  YMMV
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I learned this from another member here - ear plugs work great for the muzzle.  

I've used non-chlorinated Brake Cleaner but had better results w/ Gun Scrubber.  YMMV

how long do you let the gun scrubber sit (after wiping the weapon down) before you spray it with the paint?

eta: or is that what pre-heating the weapon is for?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#3]
If you preheat the gun the paint will evaporate on the weapon as you fog it on. No runs.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Preheating is also useful if you are working in a humid environment and you want to avoid condensation issues.  Little trick from living at the bottom of the vaporous lake that constantly hovers over Ohio.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:59:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By calicojack
how long do you let the gun scrubber sit (after wiping the weapon down) before you spray it with the paint?

eta: or is that what pre-heating the weapon is for?

The GS will evaporate immediately, but you will still have some wet areas.  You can simply use a lint-free rag and dry these areas.    You can start painting in a matter of 5-10 mins after GS.  

I did all my prep and painting in the sun so that was my 'pre-heating.'  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top