Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2008 3:30:34 PM EDT
Just finished. This is my dad's Mossberg 500, it was originally a 22"? He didn't like it so long since it's mostly a walking and/or beside the bed gun, so I hack sawed it down to 16 1/2. 18 1/2 inches I've also put some repair work into it because it was badly pitted, rusted and beaten up "the things like 18 years old...". The metal wasn't too bad after it got blasted with some alox "where needed". I had to do a little jb-weld pit/scratch filling but other than that it went smooth. ALL the internal pins and screws needed replacing. So I changed that all out with stainless parts.
The buttstock was broke along the top of the pistol grip about 3' inches long.... I had to Epoxy it back together with screws and dowels. Went over the rest of the stock problems with bondo and filler.
The fore-grip "pump grip" had small serrated teeth inlets but most of them were broken or chipped away. So I took the dremel and played around a bit. afterwards had to bondo.
The paint is my own custom colors and style. You'll notice a hint of gold and silver metal flake in there. it actually changes the color slightly under different lighting. The metal is all Matte Black and on the wood the base coat is matte black with some silver mixed in. Topped with my Shadowflage "Twilight gray/green" with a little Gold dusted on top of that followed by a few coats of Satin Clear. The camo works pretty good.
I have pics below, along with the album link which has a lot more pictures than I have listed here.
Any positive comments are welcome , and the negatives not so much :) .
Photo Gallery -Lots more pics-

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope you meant 18".
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice looking gun, but I hope you meant you cut it down to 18 1/2.  I hope.  No mention of a Form 4.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#4]
One of the best pound me in the ass jobs I've seen.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, he DEFINATELY MEANT 18+ inches. And it looks GREAT!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#6]
looks 18.5 to me, great job on the paint
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#7]
yessum it's 18 1/2, damn AR-15's have me brainwashed with the number 16... and 14.5..
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#8]
that, sir, is a superlative job!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:30:54 AM EDT
[#9]
i was really skeptical as i read "gold and silver dusting" the mental image made me hrow up in my mouth a little bit...

i was totally wrong, beautiful job, but i do two complaints...

1. SIGHTS! why not at least put a front bead back in?

2. not really a complaint, but i think this one would look even greater totally camofladged, stray the whole thing(imho) that's a great shade and pattern you have there, apply liberally!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I wanted to do a full camo but it's my dads gun and he wanted the too tone. "I want a suttle elegant camo job" so that's what I gave him. I might order a set of ghost ring sights with the clamp-on sights. Saw them in a cheaper than dirt mag but I'm sure midway would have the same ifnot better.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#11]
here's are two fiber-optic options from midway which requires no modification to your dads gun link and link...

this one is a little more substantial, the fiber-optic "light pipe" is shielded, but would require drilling and tapping the barrel link...

this one is a much more solid looking but probibly less visably effective bolt on(like you mentioned) option, than the fiber-optics above. it looks rock solid and kinda reminds me of military style AR or Ak front sights, and i love the whole familiarity between platforms aspect, might end up having to put these on my pair of mossberg 500's. here's the  link...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top