Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2008 1:14:52 PM EDT
My brother wanted me to paint his new 700P and I decided to try something new....an old school woodland camo.

I started out by scrubbing the stock with simple green, then taping off all the internal surfaces of the stock in case he wants to bed it someday.  I then lightly sanded with a green scotch brite pad and wiped it down with acetone and put on a base coat of duracoat OD green.  Next, I got out the wide painters tape and started cutting patterns with a razor knife.

Next, I sprayed on a coat of Duracoat Magpul FDE and cut out some more patterns.

Now I mixed up some desert brown mixed with a little matte black to get a dark brown color and sprayed again.

Here is what I have so far.

I am pretty happy with it, but I am wondering if I should put a little matte black across the other colors like the original woodland camo has on it.  What do you all think?
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice, leave the black off it however, it's not one of the more natural colors and most seem to be staying away from it.  

Any Clear coat's going to be added?
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#2]
yep, the clear coat is next.  I didnt want to do it until I made a decision on the black.  I think I might have a hard time if I did put black on it because it would cover up too much of the other colors.  My wife said not to do the black and I am leaning towards not doing it, but though I would see what you all thought.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#3]
That looks GREAT!  Nice job!
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]

FWIW - I'd leave it as is...VERY good job.
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is the final product.  I decided to leave off the black and just put on matte clear.  Still need to get a scope for it.

Link Posted: 4/14/2008 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Man, that looks great! Great job!
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#7]
A thing of beauty.

90% of the work is all in the prep and masking.  Glad to see that you are using a more durable product as it would be a shame to have such a nice job be temporary.

I would vote no to adding any black.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Any intention to do the barel and receiver?  It looks great as is but kinda odd :)
leaving the black off was a good choice.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#9]
That was the look we were going for.  He mainly wanted a coating on the barrel and action so that he wouldnt have to worry about rust.  

And let's face it, this is a hunting/target gun....no need to worry about someone seeing you and shooting back.  And it is pretty darn effective, even though the barrel doesnt have the pattern on it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Really nice work.  Big +1  
Link Posted: 4/28/2008 3:59:54 AM EDT
[#11]
GREAT JOB!!!

big +1 on NO black...

look around your AO, black is rarely if ever found in nature. i suppose the black that was included in camofladge was meant to reprduce the casting of shadows. perhaps it wasn't fully understood that natural vegetation and your surroundings will cast the APPROPRIATE shadows. the addition of black into a "woodland" camo scheme was never really a good idea. rather, a slate(or another greyish earthtone color) would have been much more desireable and accurate, as well as a second and lighter colored brown like a "coyote" or "flat dark earth" would have been good additions. just look at the use of different earth tones and lack of black/extremelly dark colors in Crye "multicam", and how exceptionally well it blends into many many different environmental landscapes. as i said, the environment you're in will provide you with the appropriate shadowing...

besides, next time you get the chance, walk to a window or door, close your eyes for a minute or so to adjust your eyes, and then open them and just gaze outside. see if your eyes aren't naturally drawn first to anything black or extremely dark in color, as well as drawn to anything cast in shadow...

i would guess it's either some sort of genetically enherited defenseive and/or predatory mechanism. sort of like a genetic reminder for your brain to look into the shadows for and beware of, any potentially learking danger(predators). or your brain telling you to look into the shadows for anything hiding from you(that could be a potential meal)...  
Link Posted: 4/28/2008 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Good job, I'm gonna try it on mine soon.  I hope.
Link Posted: 4/30/2008 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Great work very nice looking camo job
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#14]
it does look good. I'm gonna do 1 of my rifles in woodland myself.

But just to comment, I disagree about not using black, it's a common comment that black isn't a natural color, but the fact is it is a natural color seen by your eyes because of shadows or low light, ect., so if you're going to use something in the shade or at night, ect. black does well.
For what it's worth I tested 4 main types of camo, bdu woodland, multicam and the civilian version of marpat digital woodland, the marine woodland camo that is, and acu, and despite the popularity of the digital camo's, the woodland was still 1 of the better camos in many of the different areas and light conditions in my opinion. It might be old school, but it's still 1 of the more effective camo's you can use in many environments in the u.s..
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice.  Came out well.

Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#16]
FOR THE WIN! That looks awesome! I'd do the barrel and receiever in the same color as the base coat.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#17]
How long did you let it dry before applying tape for the 2nd & 3rd colors.

LOOKS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I would spray in the afternoon, then tape the next afternoon.  You could probably applyh after a few hours safely, but I like to make sure.
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Great Job!!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Here is another version of the pattern with a stock that a fellow member sent to me to do for him.  Same process and colors.

Link Posted: 7/25/2008 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I had  eastky454 do this stock for me b/c I can't paint for S#*%.  He did a great job.  The pictures don't do justice.  Anyway this is a great write up
I just duracoated the rest.  Turned out to make a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Very nice.....
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#23]
That is simply PERFECT!
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Very nice job!...thanks for the thread.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the tutorial!  Mine turned out well I think.

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I love the way it looks. That is exactly what I am looking to do. Is Magpul FDE that light in color? it looks much darker in their catalog.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 6:47:42 AM EDT
[#27]
the color in the catalog is way too dark.  Magpul FDE is just a little lighter than the actual Magpul color.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't know if it's my work network or whether the photos are down, but I can't see em! This is a really cool idea and a really like the look of the rifle in the photo that is posted. Nice job!! I'd love to do this to mr R700
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Thanks for the tutorial! Mine turned out well I think.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm192/mamartin043/sniper.jpg

simply awsome
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Very nice camo job.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I did this Afghan pattern with Krylon camo paint from Walmart and your "blue tape" method:

Link Posted: 9/8/2011 5:51:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice work guys. It looks to me like cutting some of your tape with jagged lines makes  a better pattern.Thanks for the tutorials.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#33]
I like the way that turned out.  Did you have any problems with that type of tape?  I would be curious on how the edges of the paint line turned out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top